• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Conductivity with soluble salts

• Thread starter johndoe
  • Start date
Does a soluble salt necessarily implies a strong conductivity?

Answers and Replies

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi johndoe,

You must give us your reasoning first, then we may be able to comment on it. What do you think? Can you think of any counterexamples?

Also, do you mean conductivity of the salt alone, or a solution of the salt in a solvent?

Hi johndoe,

You must give us your reasoning first, then we may be able to comment on it. What do you think? Can you think of any counterexamples?

Also, do you mean conductivity of the salt alone, or a solution of the salt in a solvent?

I am working on my lab report, and there is an explanation in the example saying that 'AgNO3 is a strong conductor because AgNO3 is a soluble salt.'

Well I know that strong acid or base implies strong conductivity, but if a salt is soluble I think it only implies that the salt is a conductor but not necessarily a strong one.

salts I mean by ionic compounds alone

Example?
I tested Cu(C2H3O2)2 in my lab with a light blub, it is a soluble salt and I wrote down weak, but I might be wrong with personal judements.

Last edited:
Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It seems reasonable to say that, all other factors being equal, a more soluble salt will produce a more conductive electrolytic solution because more ions will be present.