Conductivity with soluble salts

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a soluble salt and its conductivity. The speaker mentions that a soluble salt may not necessarily imply a strong conductivity and asks for counterexamples. They also clarify whether they are referring to the conductivity of the salt alone or in a solution. The speaker provides an example of Cu(C2H3O2)2 being a weak conductor despite being a soluble salt and suggests that solubility may affect the conductivity of a salt in a solution.
johndoe
Does a soluble salt necessarily implies a strong conductivity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi johndoe,

You must give us your reasoning first, then we may be able to comment on it. What do you think? Can you think of any counterexamples?

Also, do you mean conductivity of the salt alone, or a solution of the salt in a solvent?

Mapes said:
Hi johndoe,

You must give us your reasoning first, then we may be able to comment on it. What do you think? Can you think of any counterexamples?

Also, do you mean conductivity of the salt alone, or a solution of the salt in a solvent?

I am working on my lab report, and there is an explanation in the example saying that 'AgNO3 is a strong conductor because AgNO3 is a soluble salt.'

Well I know that strong acid or base implies strong conductivity, but if a salt is soluble I think it only implies that the salt is a conductor but not necessarily a strong one.

salts I mean by ionic compounds alone

Example?
I tested Cu(C2H3O2)2 in my lab with a light blub, it is a soluble salt and I wrote down weak, but I might be wrong with personal judements.

Last edited:
It seems reasonable to say that, all other factors being equal, a more soluble salt will produce a more conductive electrolytic solution because more ions will be present.

What is conductivity?

Conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. It is a property that describes how easily an electrical current can pass through a substance.

How is conductivity with soluble salts measured?

Conductivity with soluble salts is measured by using a conductivity meter, which measures the flow of electricity through a solution. The more ions present in the solution, the higher the conductivity.

What is the relationship between concentration and conductivity?

The concentration of a solution is directly proportional to its conductivity. This means that as the concentration of ions in a solution increases, so does its conductivity.

Why are soluble salts good conductors of electricity?

Soluble salts are good conductors of electricity because they dissociate into ions when dissolved in water. These ions are then free to move and carry an electrical current.

What factors can affect the conductivity of a solution containing soluble salts?

The conductivity of a solution containing soluble salts can be affected by several factors, including temperature, concentration, and the type of ions present. Additionally, the presence of impurities or other dissolved substances can also affect conductivity.