1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conductivity with soluble salts

1. Jun 9, 2008 #1
    Does a soluble salt necessarily implies a strong conductivity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi johndoe,

You must give us your reasoning first, then we may be able to comment on it. What do you think? Can you think of any counterexamples?

Also, do you mean conductivity of the salt alone, or a solution of the salt in a solvent?

4. Jun 9, 2008 #3

I am working on my lab report, and there is an explanation in the example saying that 'AgNO3 is a strong conductor because AgNO3 is a soluble salt.'

Well I know that strong acid or base implies strong conductivity, but if a salt is soluble I think it only implies that the salt is a conductor but not necessarily a strong one.

salts I mean by ionic compounds alone

Example?
    I tested Cu(C2H3O2)2 in my lab with a light blub, it is a soluble salt and I wrote down weak, but I might be wrong with personal judements.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. Jun 9, 2008 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It seems reasonable to say that, all other factors being equal, a more soluble salt will produce a more conductive electrolytic solution because more ions will be present.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?