1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Conductor inside conductor

1. Aug 20, 2016 #1
    So the potential inside a conductor is constant. Does this mean that if there were a conductor, B, inside another conductor, A, the charges of A/B would redistribute such that the electric field inside would be zero (hence constant potential)? This seems logical but a bit too easy?

Also, if it is true, does it also hold if the second conductor is inside a cavity within the first?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2016 #2
    Yes. The electric field inside both conductors would be zero, and therefore the potential constant. There can be an electric field between conductor A and B if they are not electrically connected (in which case they could be considered as one single conductor), and in this case A and B would be at different potentials. One being inside a cavity of the other changes nothing.
    Note: This applies to electrostatics.

4. Aug 20, 2016 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Did you mean "could not be considered"? If they are electrically connected (with no resistance) they must be considered as one conductor.

5. Aug 20, 2016 #4
    connected = single conductor.
    not connected = different conductors.

Sorry, I was not quite clear in my original post.
    In electrostatics, resistance is futile, as there are no currents flowing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted