Solve Conductor Questions: Find Total Current Carried by Silver Wire

• Thread starter 838
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conductor
In summary, the forum poster has correctly calculated the total current carried by a 2.0-m length of silver wire with a uniform cross-sectional area of 0.6mm^2. They have used the equations J=nqV_d and I=JA to find the current, and have also taken into account the atomic mass and density of silver. However, they may want to double check their units and label their final answer with the correct units (Amps).

Homework Statement

A 2.0-m length of silver wire has a uniform cross-sectional area of [tex]0.6mm^2[/tex]. If the drift velocity in this wire is 5.0 x [tex]10^{-5}[/tex] m/s and the electrons all move in the same direction along the wire. What is the total current carried by the wire?

Homework Equations

So, silvers atomic mass is 107.9 g/mol and the density is 10500 [tex]kg/m^2[/tex].
Also, conductivity of silver is 6.3 x [tex]10^7[/tex] (too lazy to add units)

So, I = JA, I have A, so I'll find J.
J=nq[tex]V_d[/tex]
where n = number density of atoms
q is charge constant (1.6 x [tex]10^{-19}[/tex])
and [tex]V_d[/tex] is the drift velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I think I have an answer, my instructor said it was wrong, but wouldn't tell me until after the homework is due (no free points, I guess it's fair).

n=10500/[tex]m^3[/tex]*(1mol/0.1079kg)*(6.02 x [tex]10^{23}[/tex]/1mol) = 5.85 x [tex]10^{28}[/tex]

J=nq[tex]V_d[/tex]

(5.85 x [tex]10^{28}[/tex])*(1.6 x [tex]10^{-19}[/tex])*(5.0 x [tex]10^{-5}[/tex])
= 468656.16

Area = [tex]0.6mm^2[/tex] = 0.6 x[tex]10^{-6}[/tex]m

Now, to find I. I=(468656.16 N/C)*(0.6 x[tex]10^{-6}[/tex]m) = 0.28Amps.

Does this look correct? Sorry if my work is a little sloppy.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution looks correct to me. The only thing I would suggest is to be careful with your units. For the number density, you have converted from kg to m^3, but you still have kg in your final answer. You may want to double check your units throughout your calculations to make sure they are consistent.

Also, it may be helpful to label your final answer with the correct units (Amps) to make it clear to the reader.

Overall, your approach and solution seem sound. If your instructor has a different answer, it would be helpful to understand where the discrepancy lies. Perhaps there is a different value for the conductivity of silver or a different value for the drift velocity that your instructor is using.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

Your approach to solving this problem is correct. However, your final answer of 0.28 amps is incorrect. The correct answer is 2.81 x 10^-4 amps. This may be where your instructor found an error. Make sure to double check your calculations and units. Good job on using the correct equations and applying them correctly to solve the problem. Keep up the good work!

What is the purpose of solving conductor questions?

The purpose of solving conductor questions is to determine the amount of current flowing through a conductor, which is an essential piece of information for understanding and analyzing electrical circuits.

How do I find the total current carried by a silver wire?

To find the total current carried by a silver wire, you will need to know the resistance of the wire, the voltage applied to the circuit, and the formula I = V/R (current equals voltage divided by resistance). Plug in these values and solve for the current.

What is the resistance of a silver wire?

The resistance of a silver wire depends on several factors such as the length, diameter, and temperature of the wire. Generally, silver is a good conductor with relatively low resistance, but it can vary depending on the specific specifications of the wire.

What is the difference between current and voltage?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, while voltage is the force that drives the current. Current is measured in amperes (A), while voltage is measured in volts (V).

Why is it important to consider the material of a conductor when solving these types of questions?

The material of a conductor plays a crucial role in determining its resistance and, therefore, the amount of current that can flow through it. Different materials have different properties that affect their ability to conduct electricity, making it essential to consider when solving conductor questions.