1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conductor within conductor

1. Aug 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A metal sphere with charge q=3.7 μC and radius r=3.1 cm is concentric with a larger metal sphere with charge Q=13 μC and radius R=5.6 cm. (a) What is the magnitude of the potential difference between the spheres? If we connect the spheres with a wire, what then is the charge on (b) the smaller sphere and (c) the larger sphere?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know what the answer is, but if I find an expression for the electric field outside the larger conductor using Gauss' law and then integrate that from infinity to 0.056, then find the potential at the surface of the second conductor by simply using q/4*pi*epsilonnaught*r I should have the correct potentials at both surfaces, and for the second part the constraints are that the electric field between the two conductors is zero and q+Q= 16.7e-6 C?

edit: I just realized that according to Gauss' law, all the charge must move on to the larger sphere once they two are connected (since E_inside = 0). Not sure if I can make sense of this result, could someone please explain?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The potential at the surface of a charged conducting sphere is the same as if all the charge were confined at the center.
    When the spheres are connected, remember that like charges repel... so they will try to get as far apart as possible.

4. Aug 21, 2016 #3
    Not sure where you're going with the second point.

5. Aug 24, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The second point is in response to this:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted