1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conduing elipsical wire in a magnetic field

1. Mar 14, 2008 #1
    conduing elipsical wire in a magnetic field :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An elipse shaped wire with a major axis a and minor axis b conducts a current I , and is set on the XY plane.
    A const. magnetic field B is present, towards the Y axis (pointing "up")

I need to caculate the moment of force acting upon the elipse.

2. Relevant equations

1) F = ILBsin(alpha) (force acting upon a conduing wire in the presence of a magnetic field)

2) N = r X F (moment of force)

3. The attempt at a solution

The force acts towards "inside the page" - spinning the elipse.
    Since the force acting upon each element of the eplise is different (and depends on the angle between the wire and the magnetic field), I figured I should somehow sum the cross-products (rXF) of each element throughout the elipse, with integration on "theta", which is the angle between the radius and the major axis as I progress...
    The problem I encountred was calculating this angle, of each element, and express it using "theta".
    I have reached a very far-fetched expression, using some Wiki help and some friends help, and reached a pretty complex relation. I shall reffer to the wanted angle (again, the angle between the wire element and the magnetic field, which points up) as "alpha":

note: e = c/a
    alpha = 90 + "theta" - arctg ((e)^2sin(2theta)/sqrt(1-(e^2)(cos(theta))^2).

No way this thing enters my intergration :).

I'm really lost... maybe there's a much easier way? some symmetry I cannot see?

Thank you very much for reading! I'm sorry if it's messy.... but the question I hope is coherent.

Tomer.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted