Minimum Radius Cylinder for Tangent Line-Contact with Cone

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum radius of a cylinder that can be placed around a 45° right-angle cone while maintaining line contact. The cone is placed on a table in such a way that the table can be seen as a cylinder with an infinite radius. The question is whether there are any existing equations to calculate this radius or if it needs to be derived. It is suggested to find the dimensions of the ellipse formed when viewing the cone from the surface of the table and then finding the dimensions of a circle that will intersect the ellipse at one point. It is clarified that the table should be wrapped around the cone, not the other way around.
gwiz
If I have a 45° right-angle cone and I place it on a table on the conical surface (not the base), there should be a line-contact along the cone (the table is tangent to the conical surface). The table can be seen as a cylinder with an infinite radius, so, my question is, what is the minimum radius cylinder that the cone can lie in, while maintaining the line-contact (remaining tangent)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Does 45° refer to the angle the sides of the cone make with the base, or the maximum angle formed by the "nose" of the cone?

I don't understand.

I mean, when you place a cylinder on its side on top of a table, it also has line contact, no matter what the diameter of the cylinder is...to that end, a cone and a cylinder could have line contact, no matter what the radius of either of them.

did I misunderstood the problem? or what?

I believe what he is asking is: if you were able to roll up the surface of the table to form a cylinder around the cone without disturbing the way the cone is lying on the table and without intersecting any part of the cone, what is the minimum radius of such a cylinder?

So, the problem then becomes...

Find the dimensions of the ellipse formed when viewing the "tilted" cone from the surface of the table. Then, find the dimensions of a circle that will circumscribe the ellipse, intersecting at only one point: the "bottom" of the ellipse, which lies at one end of the minor axis.

Oh, I see...after reading the posting I had forgotten about the title...the wrapping of the table onto a cylinder enclosing the cone!...I wrapped the table in the other direction so my cone was left outside the cylinder.

I get it now.

Yes, that is exactly right. I am wrapping the table around the cone, and trying to find the minimum radius that remains tangent to the line contact of the cone. Does anyone know of any existing equations for that, or do I just need to drudge through it, and derive it?

1. What is the shape of the cone and cylinder?

The cone is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and a pointed top, while the cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with two circular bases and a curved side.

2. Can a cone fit entirely inside a cylinder?

Yes, a cone can fit entirely inside a cylinder as long as the base of the cone is smaller than the base of the cylinder.

3. How do you calculate the volume of a cone inside a cylinder?

The volume of a cone inside a cylinder can be calculated by first finding the volume of the entire cylinder, and then subtracting the volume of the cone. The formula for the volume of a cylinder is πr2h, while the formula for the volume of a cone is 1/3πr2h.

4. What is the relationship between the height of the cone and the cylinder?

The height of the cone is always less than the height of the cylinder. This is because the cone has a pointed top, while the cylinder has a flat top, so the height of the cone is only a portion of the height of the cylinder.

5. Can the cone and cylinder have the same height?

Yes, the cone and cylinder can have the same height. This would mean that the cone is a right cone, and the height of the cone would be equal to the radius of the base. In this case, the cone would fit perfectly inside the cylinder without any extra space.