Cone of Ignorance?

1. Can there be such a thing as a cone of Ignorance? Can somebody be so ignorant as to drag other people down to their level just by being in close proximity to them?

And if this can be so, does that mean that a cone of depression can also exist? Are there any other cones that you can think of?

2. jcsd
  3. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've heard of spheres of wisdom and cubes of fortitude, but CONES of ignorance????

4. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, let's not forget the CONE OF SILENCE. Anyone remember that?

How about the cone of cone. That's were your ice cream cone flakes off when you crunch and it gets on everyone around you.

Another version of the "cone of influence" concept: It's hard to fly like an eagle when you hang with turkeys.

5. Yea a cone of ignorance is when someone is soooooo stupid that they bring everyone close enough to them down to their level of stupidity.

Think of it like a black hole sucking everything around it into it.

6. jimmy p

jimmy p 578
    Gold Member

LOL. I think this is true. I notice that ignorant people seem to suck the intelligence out of the room.

7. How about those intelligent cones in H.P. Lovecraft stories?

The Great Race's members were immense rugose cones ten feet high, and with head and other organs attached to foot-thick, distensible limbs spreading from the apexes. They spoke by the clicking or scraping of huge paws or claws attached to the end of two of their four limbs, and walked by the expansion and contraction of a viscous layer attached to their vast, ten-foot bases. :surprised :yuck:

Carry on o:)

8. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I remember correctly, they were cones of callous curiosity; they were certainly not cones of ignorance.

9. Yeah, i've met lots of people like that. And i mean lots. They hurt my soul. its in the ICU now...

10. any one in particular you are thinking of Andy? Are you saying you are caught in a cone, or emitting one? Or simply coming up with an excuse for your ignorance?

11. All of the above, all though i do know several people that have this cone of ignorance. I was sat next to one in all of my school exams which is why i did so poorly. I detect the cone coming from you though, especially with the tape over your eye, that should give people enough warning though to avoid you so as not to get trapped in your cone.

12. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You fool! It's not a cone of ignorance, it's a 4-cornered cube. You're just on the wrong corner. :rofl:

13. Why, yes thank you. Could I get a double-dip, please?

14. jimmy p

jimmy p 578
    Gold Member

Hey dont blame me, you shouldnt have copied my answers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?