1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conervative Forces

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Hi, I understand that a conservative force cannot depend on velocity, because by changing velocity we can do different work on the same path. But how can I show this mathematically, for a general force depending on velocity? Is the curl always zero for such a force?

Thank you?

Nese

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure about that? What about the force a magnetic field exerts on a moving charge?

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    Yeah, you are right. As far as I know some people see the magnetic force as a conservative force although it depends on velocity, because the work done by it on a particle is always zero. I do not know any other force with this property. Maybe I have to reformulate the question as how do we show that a velocity dependent force is not conservative, which has nonzer work on the particle?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook