1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confidence interval for difference in two unknown normal means, variances unknown

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    I have two samples, one with 21 measurements and one with 23 measurements, from a Normal distribution and I am constructing a 95% CI for the difference in the two means. I do not know the variances of the two Normal distributions.

I know that [itex]\overline{X_1}-\overline{X_2}[/itex]~[itex]N(\mu_1-\mu_2, \sqrt{\frac{\sigma_1^2}{n_1}+\frac{\sigma_2^2}{n_2}})[/itex]

But then as [itex]\sigma_1[/itex],[itex] \sigma_2[/itex] are unknown I use the sample variances, but then does it then follow that,

[itex]\frac{(\overline{X_1}-\overline{X_2})-(\mu_1-\mu_2)}{\sqrt{\frac{S_1^2}{n_1}+\frac{S_2^2}{n_2}}}≈N(0,1)[/itex]

Even though my samples are both less than 30 measurements?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?