Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confidence intervals for means

1. May 10, 2010 #1

I'm reading up on confidence intervals for means. This is leaving my mind boggled. I caught the part where the interval = tc*(sample standard deviation/the square root of n). What's boggling my mind though is the variable tc. I see that t refers to a T distribution. But, I can't figure out how t0.975 could give you a 95% confidence interval.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2010 #2
    The 95% confidence interval for a mean is between t_0.025 and t_0.975.
  4. May 10, 2010 #3
    Okay thanks. The page I'm reading makes reference to another page, which then refers to an appendix, neither of which helped.
  5. May 10, 2010 #4
    So how do I get the value of Tc for a certain confidence interval?
  6. May 10, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"So how do I get the value of Tc for a certain confidence interval? "

Look at the t-table (not stuttering; it is a table of t-values:smile:). It then depends if
    your interval is 1-sided or 2-sided. Unfortunately, there are different table formats
    too. If your table deals with standard errors (which you use in case you don't know
    the pop. standard deviation) .

If you have a table that tells you the percent of the data between a given number
    and the mean, and you want a 2-sided interval, from a sample of size N, then do this:

First go to the row N-1 , since you have N-1 degrees of freedom when your sample
    size is N. Then look up the column value c/2 on the table, e.g, if c=0.95 ( for a 95% confidence interval). That is your t_c value.

If you give me more details, and a link to the type of table you are using, we
    can work out a specific example.

7. May 11, 2010 #6
    My table has the Tc values from top to bottom and degrees of freedom from left to right. Must be one-sided because your directions don't agree with my table.
  8. May 11, 2010 #7
    My table is not on the Internet - I'm reading a book called Probability and Statistics from Schaum's Outlines. (this is not homework)
  9. May 11, 2010 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

O.K , let me go back home and check it out, I don't have it here with me.
  10. May 12, 2010 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

FYI, one can google the following: student t distribution table

Here is the first hit:
    http://www.math.unb.ca/~knight/utility/t-table.htm [Broken]​
    I like that it shows both the one-tailed and two-tailed values.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. May 18, 2010 #10
    OK, how do I use it?
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook