1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confidence intervals

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    we need to show with 90% confidence that the probability of the "treshhold number" being correct is 99.99%. "So we want P=0.9999 with C=0.90". we can consider 5 trails with out put { 4, 7, 12, 9, 11}..we can say the treshhold # is the "2nd trail = 7"... i tried doing it using t alpha but i failed to get it... i havent taken statistcs in years..thanks for help folks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2
    is it that hard??

4. Jun 23, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. I don't understand what you are talking about. Can you give a reference for the background to this problem?

5. Jun 24, 2008 #4
  6. Jun 24, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: confiendnce

Ok, now can you explain what your problem is? You have five trials? You want to say the probability of something is 0.9999? The probability of what exactly?

7. Jun 24, 2008 #6

the probabilty of the treshhod # being correct, which is the 2nd trail..thanks

8. Jun 24, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This isn't helping. You are just repeating what I don't understand. What do the trials represent? Are they samples from some distribution? What does it mean for one of them to be 'correct'. What is correct? What's a 'threshold'? Can you define all of these things?

9. Jun 24, 2008 #8

the trails are just sample from some distributaion, for the treshhold # u can say its just a numer, so we are trying to prove the the output of the samples larger than 7 "treshhold" is 99.99% with 90%confience..i hope that makes it more clear

10. Jun 24, 2008 #9

I believe you are talking about the tolerance interval. In this problem, your confidence level is 95% and the threshold interval for capturing at least 99.99% i.e. % of these samples falling in the tolerance interval is:
    [tex]\bar{x} \pm (tolerance)s[/tex] , where tolerance is your tolerance critical value.

Your statistics book should have a tolerance critical value table.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?