Showing 90% Confidence in 99.99% Correct "Threshold Number" | Statistics Help

• Thread starter sstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    intervals
In summary, the problem is to show with 90% confidence that the probability of the "threshold number" being correct is 99.99%. This can be done by considering 5 trials and using the tolerance interval with a confidence level of 95%. The goal is to prove that at least 99.99% of the samples fall within the tolerance interval. A tolerance critical value table can be used to determine the appropriate tolerance value.
sstudent
we need to show with 90% confidence that the probability of the "treshhold number" being correct is 99.99%. "So we want P=0.9999 with C=0.90". we can consider 5 trails without put { 4, 7, 12, 9, 11}..we can say the treshhold # is the "2nd trail = 7"... i tried doing it using t alpha but i failed to get it... i haven't taken statistcs in years..thanks for help folks

Physics news on Phys.org
is it that hard??

sstudent said:
is it that hard??

Yes. I don't understand what you are talking about. Can you give a reference for the background to this problem?

Ok, now can you explain what your problem is? You have five trials? You want to say the probability of something is 0.9999? The probability of what exactly?

the probabilty of the treshhod # being correct, which is the 2nd trail..thanks

sstudent said:
the probabilty of the treshhod # being correct, which is the 2nd trail..thanks

This isn't helping. You are just repeating what I don't understand. What do the trials represent? Are they samples from some distribution? What does it mean for one of them to be 'correct'. What is correct? What's a 'threshold'? Can you define all of these things?

the trails are just sample from some distributaion, for the treshhold # u can say its just a numer, so we are trying to prove the the output of the samples larger than 7 "treshhold" is 99.99% with 90%confience..i hope that makes it more clear

I believe you are talking about the tolerance interval. In this problem, your confidence level is 95% and the threshold interval for capturing at least 99.99% i.e. % of these samples falling in the tolerance interval is:
[tex]\bar{x} \pm (tolerance)s[/tex] , where tolerance is your tolerance critical value.

Your statistics book should have a tolerance critical value table.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to have 90% confidence in a threshold number?

Having 90% confidence in a threshold number means that there is a 90% chance that the true value of the threshold falls within the specified range. This means that there is a higher level of certainty that the threshold number accurately represents the data.

2. How is confidence determined in a threshold number?

Confidence in a threshold number is typically determined through statistical analysis, specifically through the calculation of a confidence interval. This involves using the data to estimate the range of values within which the true threshold number is likely to fall with a certain level of confidence.

3. Why is it important to show 90% confidence in a threshold number?

Showing 90% confidence in a threshold number is important because it allows for a more accurate interpretation of the data. By having a higher level of confidence, it is less likely that the threshold number is significantly influenced by random variation or error in the data.

4. What does 99.99% correct mean in relation to a threshold number?

In this context, 99.99% correct refers to the accuracy of the threshold number. It means that there is a 99.99% chance that the threshold number accurately represents the data and that there is only a 0.01% chance of error.

5. How can statistics help in determining the appropriate threshold number?

Statistics play a crucial role in determining the appropriate threshold number. Through statistical analysis, the data can be evaluated to determine the range of values that are likely to be representative of the true threshold. This allows for a more accurate and reliable estimation of the threshold number.