Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confined Blast Wave propagation

1. Aug 30, 2015 #1
    I'm a little rusty on my physics, so here's the hypothetical: Put HMX prima cord in a long pipeline , say 1000m. If you detonate the prima cord and the pipe has a 3" ID, would the blast wave outrun the HMX detonation velocity of 9100 m/s. If you reduced the ID of the pipe, is there a certain point (ID) where the blast wave would move faster than the cord?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2015 #2
    Blast wave through... natural-gas/air, or hydrogen/oxygen, or some other mixture in the pipe?

I think it's unlikely that the conflagration within the pipe would ever propagate faster than the 9.1km/s high-explosive detonation. A highly pressurized H2O2 mixture might burn at rather impressive speeds. But you'd have a hard time getting anywhere near HE detonation velocities, regardless of the pipe size. (Unless you cheat and use a gas mixture under conditions that cause it to be ignited by the prima cord inside the pipe).

From Wikipedia:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook