1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confirm my logic on power

1. Mar 25, 2007 #1
    Ok,

So, lets say I was to drag a 40kg load in a set distance of 10 meter. I record the time, it was 5 secs.

Now I find power, P=work/t. We know work=force x distance.

SO my question is, is force just mass of load x acceleration due to gravity? 9.81m/s^2.

So P= ((40kg x 9.81) * 10 meters)/5 seconds,

so 784 watts or so. Thanks guys. What about force of friction? I guess this question doesn't want me to go that far in yet.

Thanks guys. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2007 #2
    I don't quite agree with the way you get work and force.
    The work you done is against the friction force, not the weight of the load.
    Hence force = mg is not applicable.
    In fact, work needed to drag an object for different surface is different due to difference in coefficient of friction.
    Greater mass do need greater force to drag, but that is because the friction is higher, as the frictional force is greater for a heavier object.

4. Mar 25, 2007 #3
    So how does one do it in terms of the equation?

5. Mar 25, 2007 #4
    a = (v-u)/t

given u = 0, and v = s/t

a = s/t^2

= 0.4 ms^-2

(assuming non-frictional planar flat surface, linear acceleration)

thats what i think, at least

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  6. Mar 25, 2007 #5
    perfect!!! so the force is 40 * 0.4...and that by 5 gives you the power!

7. Mar 25, 2007 #6
    I see. So V=d/t, then use that as a final V in a=Vf-Vi/t, a=.4 m/s^2 on a non frictional surface.

Sorry, I just didn't get the formulas Xiankai was using.

I see! so if I had a coefficient of friction then I all I would do is go (40kg x 0.4 m/s^2) - u (mu) x F normal (m x g)? Excellent. Then I'll probably have to consider the static or kinetic friction too... lol, lucky I don't have to do this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?