Age & Distance of Stars: Clarifying Light Speed Impact

• Thread starter Blahness
  • Start date
In summary, the age of stars can be assumed to be evenly distributed with respect to distance from us, but on larger scales, there may be noticeable gradients. The apparent speed and age of stars is affected by the speed of light and the expansion of the universe, but this does not necessarily mean that the expansion is slowing down.
Blahness
Are stars far away the same age as stars closer, or are they younger or older?

And wouldn't the speed of light make the planets farther away less then estimates say they are?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Light from astronomical bodies just makes them appear younger than they are because photons do not age as they approach us; they are frozen in the moment of time at which they are emitted from their source, traveling at the speed of light, to the moment they impinge on our retina.

The age of stars can be assumed to be evenly distributed with respect to distance from us. There are lots of reasons why stars are clumped by age (such as stellar nurseries) but in general, there's no reason why a young star couldn't be right next door.

I think you're talking about telescopes being a sort of time machine looking into the past. This is true. Stars that are 4 ly away are seen as they were 4 years ago. Stars that are 2 million ly away are seen as they were 2My ago.

This fact has not escaped astronomers, and they take it into account.

"And wouldn't the speed of light make the planets farther away less then estimates say they are?"

Yes, our view of the planets is delayed by a few light-minutes to light-hours.

All well-accounted for. Our "estimates" are pretty accurate. We know a LOT about where they are and where they're going. We can predict their positions many, many years, decades, and to some degree, centuries, into the past and future. And we can know their present positions accurately enough to land spacecraft on them.

Last edited:
Dmstifik8ion said:
Light from astronomical bodies just makes them appear younger than they are because photons do not age as they approach us; they are frozen in the moment of time at which they are emitted from their source, traveling at the speed of light, to the moment they impinge on our retina.
With all due respect, this is an odd and rather misleading pseudo-explanation. It seems to suggest that the distance=peering-into-the-past is some sort of illusion, instead of a very real and fundamental part of our universe.

Last edited:
if the universe is expanding and the relative speed from us is [tex]v=HR[\tex] where H is hubbell const (around 70 parsec/sec if i recall correctly)

apart from the fact that light takes time to reach us from distant planets, the stars that are far from us are seem to be slower because of their relative speed, and the ones at the edge (v approaches c) are almost frozen in time as far as were concerned...

fargoth said:
if the universe is expanding and the relative speed from us is [tex]v=HR[\tex] where H is hubbell const (around 70 parsec/sec if i recall correctly)

apart from the fact that light takes time to reach us from distant planets, the stars that are far from us are seem to be slower because of their relative speed, and the ones at the edge (v approaches c) are almost frozen in time as far as were concerned...
I don't think that relativistic time dilation plays much of a part in this.

The dilatory factor remains effectively zero until within a few percent of the speed of light. This means that, in the 13.7Gly to the edge of the observable universe, only the last few 100Mly or so (i.e. < the skin on a universe-sized apple) would exhibit any observable time dilation at all.

The Hubble flow is negligible until you reach mega-parsec distance scales; at which point it is extremely difficult to resolve individual stars. On the other hand, all photons we observe are time capsules that represent their personal surface of last scattering.

Okay, so here was a simple idea that I'm pretty sure is wrong, but who knows?Anyway,

Since stars further away are seen moving faster then stars closer, and those stars are seen as younger, does that mean that as time passes, the expansion slows, answering the question of what's happening to the universe?

Please tell me how I'm wrong in this conjecture, for I am almost sure I am.

DaveC426913 said:
The age of stars can be assumed to be evenly distributed with respect to distance from us.

Well, it depends on the scales you're talking about. The average age of the stellar populations tends to decrease with distance above the galactic plane. Within a bubble of 100 pc, the ages should be fairly evenly (though not smoothly) distributed. In a bubble of a kiloparsec, there would definitely be a noticable gradient. On still larger scales, you'll see gradients in the radial direction as well.

Blahness said:
Since stars further away are seen moving faster then stars closer, and those stars are seen as younger, does that mean that as time passes, the expansion slows, answering the question of what's happening to the universe?

I'll assume you're talking about cosmological scales, on which we observe galaxies and quasars instead of individual stars. It turns out that more distant objects would appear to be moving more quickly (and appear younger) regardless of whether the universe were accelerating or decelerating.

Think of it this way. The apparent speed of the receding galaxies is measured by the redshift of their light. The amount that light becomes redshifted is related to the amount by which the universe has expanded during its journey to us. Light coming from more distant objects will always have to travel further to reach us, so the universe will always have expanded more during its trip. Thus, light from more distant objects will always appear more redshifted and we'll always infer their recession velocities to be higher, as long as the universe is expanding. If the universe were contracting, then the opposite would be the case.

^That's the kind of perfect explination I love to see!

Thank you! ^_^'

1. What is the relationship between light speed and the age and distance of stars?

The speed of light, which is approximately 300,000 kilometers per second, is a fundamental component in understanding the age and distance of stars. This is because the light we see from stars has taken a certain amount of time to reach us, and this time is directly influenced by the speed of light.

2. How does the speed of light impact our ability to measure the age and distance of stars?

The speed of light limits our ability to measure the age and distance of stars. This is because the light we see from stars has traveled for a certain amount of time, and the farther a star is, the longer it takes for its light to reach us. Therefore, the farther we look into space, the further back in time we are seeing. This makes it difficult to accurately determine the age of a star.

3. Does the speed of light have a significant impact on the age and distance measurements of stars?

Yes, the speed of light has a significant impact on the age and distance measurements of stars. Even a small difference in the speed of light can result in a significant difference in the estimated age and distance of a star. Therefore, scientists must take into account the speed of light when making these measurements.

4. Can the speed of light be used to calculate the exact age and distance of stars?

No, the speed of light alone cannot be used to calculate the exact age and distance of stars. This is because the speed of light is not constant throughout the universe and can be influenced by factors such as gravity. In addition, there are other factors that need to be considered when determining the age and distance of a star, such as its luminosity and composition.

5. How do scientists account for the speed of light when studying the age and distance of stars?

Scientists account for the speed of light by using various techniques and calculations. This can include using the redshift of light, which is a measure of how much the light from a distant star has been stretched, to estimate its distance and age. They also use models and simulations to account for the varying speeds of light in different regions of the universe. Additionally, scientists are constantly refining and improving their methods to better understand the impact of light speed on the age and distance measurements of stars.