Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conflict of interests, does it really make any difference?

1. Mar 2, 2004 #1
    I can see how in a court of law this would be important but people today are evolved enough to know when their judement or thinking is compromised by a conflict of interest right? Well for the most part maybe but I wonder how deep this subject might go for others. Why did some of the old school philosophers not teach for money? One could argue if they were so wise then why fail to increase one's income surely they were smart enough to be able to resolve a conflict of interest mentally?
    I wonder how much of a person's thinking is skewed and tainted by conflicting interests...
    What if it were one's actions, despite whatever they say, that really determined what they valued? How many people would turn down a million dollars if others mistakenly thought they deserved it to simply know the truth? Would this be foolish, when would it ever be a mistake to accept a million dollars?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2004 #2
    My proposition to the first question: This is about value. These teachers' richness was teaching others to think. That was their nutrition. Money was not important because of personal values. The other question I have no thoughts about.

You have some interesting thoughts here. These are good questions. I do think, speaking for myself, that it is my mentality that determines what my values are. But my actions are the outcome of those values. Of course there are exceptions in some cases. the other questions I have no answers to at the moment.

Let's hope someone else decides to participate in this discussion!
  4. Mar 7, 2004 #3
    This is probably the most important philosophical understanding one can get out of philosophy and I refuse to say anymore.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?