Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal map for regular polygon in circle.

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,

I'm looking for the conformal mapping (using complex functions) that maps the unit circle (or the upper half plane) into a REGULAR polygon with n vertices. I know the Schwarz-Christoffel transformation for an ARBITRARY polygon, but that doesn't help me because the expression is way too complex to be integrated (I'm trying to find the mapping for a polygon with 120 vertices). I was hoping that the fact that the polygon is REGULAR would simplify the problem. I used the mapping on the unit circle in the S-C transform because out of the symmetry of the problem, that allowed me (I would guess) to fix the unknown images of the vertices: they should also be on a regular polygon. But nevertheless, I cannot solve the integral beyond n = 4.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, I think I found it. For a regular m-polygon, the mapping between the unit circle (z) and the polygon (w) is given by:

dw/dz = 1/(z^m - 1)^(2/m)

which, according to Mathematica, integrates to:

z (1-z^m)^(2/m) (-1 + z^m)^(-2/m) Hypergeometric2F1[1/m, 2/m, 1+1/m,z^m]

and numerically this does indeed reproduce a polygon...

cheers,
    Patrick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?