1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal map

1. Oct 24, 2004 #1
    Okay,
    I'm having trouble understanding the following:
    Given a region of a circular wedge with endpoints [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex], the mapping [tex]z_{1}=\frac{z-a}{z-b}[/tex] transforms this wedge into an angular sector. Then, by an appropriate power [tex]\alpha[/tex], the map [tex]w = z_{1}^\alpha[/tex] maps the angular sector onto a half plane. How exactly does this wedge turn into a nice angular sector just by [tex]z_1[/tex]? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2
    Im not sure what your region is, an image could help...

The frist transformation is making [itex]a[/itex] go to [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] go to [itex]\infty[/itex]. That means that all arcs passing trough [itex]b[/itex] will be straight lines. Given that it is conformal (is a Möbius transform), preserves angles. So the anlge in wich the two curves cut will preserve, and if the other curve passes trough [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex], there you have the angular sector.

The sedcond one is easy to see, remember that a complex variable can be written in the form [itex]z=Re^{i\theta}[/itex]. Consequently
    [tex]z^{\alpha}=R^{\alpha}e^{i\alpha\theta}[/tex]

The angle has been widen by [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Sorry for bad english

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  4. Oct 26, 2004 #3
    Hmm....okay. I think I understand the second map now. For the first one though, I'm still a little unclear about why the two "boundary" curves (say [tex]\gamma_1[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_2[/tex]) of the circular wedge that connect [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are mapped to straight lines. How do we know they don't get mapped onto non-straight lines? I understand that they must preserve the angle between each other at the image of [tex]a[/tex] and at [tex]b[/tex] (i.e at 0 and [tex]\infty[/tex]), but why straight lines? And how do you 'interpret' the angle preserving behaviour of [tex]\gamma_1[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_2[/tex] at the image of [tex]b[/tex](i.e at [tex]\infty[/tex])?

5. Oct 26, 2004 #4
    Okay, so i think i may have somewhat understood what you were saying before, ReyChiquito. If the map [tex]z_1[/tex] is a Mobius transformation, then it must map circles to circles (considering lines as circles too). Since the edge curves [tex]\gamma_1[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_2[/tex] of the circular wedge is part of a circle, their images under [tex]z_1[/tex] must also be circles (or lines). But it can't be a real circle, otherwise it wouldn't map b to [tex]\infty[/tex], so it must be a straight line.

Is this half-logical thinking? :redface:

6. Oct 27, 2004 #5
    That would be correct. Think of the transformation in the Riemann Sphere. What does a circle that passes trough N looks like in the C-plane?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?