1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal Mapping

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find a function that map the exterior of a circle |z|>1 into the interior of a regular hexagon.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried mapping the exterior to the interior circle. Then mapping interior circle to the upper plane which then I have to map the upper plane to the interior hexagon using the Schwarz-Christoffel formula. I'm not sure if this is the right method but some help will be useful..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2
    It sounds okay - though I seem to recall a mapping that takes the exterior of the circle to the upper half plane in one step.

Also when using the Schwarz-Christoffel formula, keep in mind that one of the vertices of the polygon has to map to the point infinity (I once paid dearly in loads of wasted time for forgetting that little snag)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook