1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal mapping

1. Apr 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find function that maps area between ##|z|=2## and ##|z+1|=1## on area between two parallel lines.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to check if my solution works for this problem?

I used Möbious transformation:

##f(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d}## where I decided that ##f(-2i)=\infty ## and ##f(2i)=0## and ##f(2)=2i##.

Using this I find out that ##f(z)=\frac{(z-2i)(i-4)}{\frac{1-i}{2}z+i+1}##

Now I am almost 100% if the circles would both have center in point 0. However, they have different origins and I somehow don't know how to deal with this kind of problems. :(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The circles [itex]|z| = 2[/itex] and [itex]|z + 1| = 1[/itex] intersect only at [itex]z = -2[/itex], so you must have [itex]f(-2) = \infty[/itex].

Also, the first choice you need to make is the parallel lines bounding the image of the area in question.

I think I would work backwards, and map the parallel lines [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) = 0[/itex] and [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) = 1[/itex] to the circles [itex]|z + 1| = 1[/itex] and [itex]|z| = 2[/itex] respectively by a Mobius map [itex]g[/itex] (these parallel lines are cunningly chosen so that I can take [itex]g(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]g(1) = 2[/itex]). I would then need to check that [tex]
    |g(iy) + 1| = 1[/tex] and [tex]
    |g(1+ iy)| = 2[/tex] for all [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] (which seems easier than checking that [itex]f(z)[/itex] lies on a particular straight line when [itex]|z + 1| = 1[/itex] and so forth) and that if [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) \in (0,1)[/itex] then [itex]g(z)[/itex] lies between the two circles.

(Finally, of course, I must compute [itex]f = g^{-1}[/itex] which what I'm actually asked to find.)

4. Apr 30, 2014 #3
    Hmm, ok, I found out that for ##g(0)=0##, ##g(1)=2## and ##g(\infty )=-2## the Mobius transformation is ##g(z)=\frac{z}{1-\frac{1}{2}z}##

Now I don't understand how you came up with following conditions:

##|g(iy) + 1| = 1## and ##|g(1+ iy)| = 2##

For example, the first one:
    ##|\frac{iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}+\frac{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}|=|\frac{1+\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}|=1##

##|\frac{(1+\frac{1}{2}iy)^2}{1-\frac{1}{4}y^2}|=1##

##|(1+\frac{1}{2}iy)^2|=1-\frac{1}{4}y^2##

##2iy=0##

Now it is possible that I made a mistake.. ?

5. Apr 30, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

We need the image of [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) = 0[/itex] to be [itex]|z + 1| = 1[/itex]. If [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) = 0[/itex] then [itex]z = iy[/itex] for some [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Hence we need [itex]|g(iy) + 1| = 1[/itex] for all [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

You are checking whether the condition [itex]|g(iy) + 1| = 1[/itex] is true for all [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], so you can't assume this in your calculations. Thus you should start with [tex]
    |g(iy) + 1| = \left|\frac{iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}+\frac{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}\right|=\left|\frac{1+\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}\right| =
    \left|\frac{(1 + \frac12 iy)^2}{1 + \frac14y^2}\right| = \frac1{1 + \frac14y^2} \left|(1 + \tfrac12 iy)^2\right|
    [/tex]
    and you need to show that this is equal to 1. You have now to calculate [tex]\left|(1 + \tfrac12 iy)^2\right| = \left|1 - \tfrac14y^2 + iy\right|
    = \sqrt{(1 - \tfrac14y^2)^2 + y^2}.
    [/tex] Fortunately, the expression under the square root turns out to be a perfect square.

6. Apr 30, 2014 #5
    Aaa ok I see it now. We are trying to prove that both of the lines map where they are supposed to; vertical line where ##Re(z)=0## into ##|z+1|=1## and similar for the line ##Re(z)=1##.

Second condition:

##|g(1+iy)|=2##

##|\frac{1+iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}(1+iy)}|=2##

After some calculation, we find out that: ##|\frac{1+iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}(1+iy)}|=\frac{4}{2}\frac{1+y^2}{1+y^2}=2##

Second condition is also good. Therefore yes, the area between two parallel lines is mapped to the area between the desired circles with this Mobius transformation: ##g(z)=\frac{z}{1-\frac{1}{2}z}##

Of course, I need inverse of that, which is ##f(z)=\frac{z}{\frac{1}{2}z+1}##

pasmith, thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted