1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal maps

1. Dec 18, 2007 #1
    Hello!, I was studing the conformal maps in complex analysis, I don't understand this definition:

Definition: A map [tex]f:A\rightarrow\mathbb{C}[/tex] is called conformal at [tex]z_0[/tex] if there exist a [tex]\theta\in[0,2\pi][/tex] and [tex]r>0[/tex] such that for any curve [tex]\gamma(t)[/tex] which is differentiable at [tex]t=0[/tex], for which [tex]\gamma(t) \in A[/tex] and [tex]\gamma(0)=z_0[/tex], and which satisfisfies [tex]\gamma\prime(0)\neq0[/tex] the curve [tex]\sigma(t)=f(\gamma(t))[/tex] is differentiable at [tex]t=0[/tex] and, setting [tex]u=\sigma\prime(0)[/tex] and [tex]v=\gamma\prime(0)[/tex], we have [tex]\left|u\right|=r\left|v\right|[/tex] and [tex]\arg u =\arg v + \theta (\mod 2\theta)[/tex]

I only know about the conformal maps, that the angle between the curves after the transform is equal to the before of the transformation. But I cannot find the relation, with the definition. I think that I don't undertand the definition.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2
    This says that the tangent vector of the curve is scaled by some number that does not depend on the direction of the tangent vector.

This says that f rotates the tangent vector by some constant angle.

Suppose you had two curves [itex]\gamma_1[/itex] and [itex]\gamma_2[/itex], so that [itex]\gamma_1(0)=\gamma_2(0)[/itex], their tangent vectors [itex]u_1:=\gamma'_1(0)[/itex] and [itex]u_2:=\gamma'_2(0)[/itex], and tangent vectors of the image paths [itex]v_1:=(f\circ\gamma_1)'(0)[/itex] and [itex]v_2:=(f\circ\gamma_2)'(0)[/itex].

The result

[tex]
    \arg u_2 - \arg u_1 = \arg v_2 - \arg v_1\quad\mod\;2\pi
    [/tex]

comes quite easily, and that is what the angle preserving means.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?