1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal transformation (CT)

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    CTs are not a change of coordinates but an actual change of the geometry, right? In principle, we can change the Minkowski spacetime into Riemannian one even Riemann-Cartan one by some kind of CT. In the Riemann-Cartan spacetime there is torsion while it is torsion-free for Minkowski spacetime. So how do we understand the problem? Can we consider the torsion coming from the CT and torsion is not an intrinsic geometrical quantity ? Thanks for any reply!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2
    1. It is a change of geometry not just coordinates.

2. Minkowski space has nothing to do with conformal mapping.

3. I have no idea what you are talking about when you mention torsion.

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3
    I'm not sure what you're looking for. But consider a coordinate system where the coordinates system XY is normal at all points, though not necessarily orthonormal. The off-diagonal elements of the metric are zero for all points (x,y).

[tex]\hat{e}_i \hat{e}_j = 0, \ when \ i \neq j [/tex]

In a conformal transform of coordinates, XY --> UV the off diagonal elements in the UV basis remain zero.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook