Confronting Hate: A Man's Story of Dealing with Anti-Choice Protesters

• Thread starter zomgwtf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: I applaud this man for taking a stand for his family and others that face similar and difficult situations.I will allow this for now, but to prevent the inevitable, here are the rules.No criticism of a person's beliefs.No criticism of a person's moral values.No religious discussion.You can post your opinion as long as it does not criticize those of a differing opinion.Rules may be added or modified as needed.Personally think it's a womans choice whether or not to have an abortion, but that's all I'm saying on that issue.These people to me are no different to the WBC and the soldiers funeral.Despicable.They
Evo said:
IMO, in any healthy society, there needs to be a good mix of opinions. There also needs to be a balance of tolerence. Respect for others and respect for their personal decisions is a must. Looking back in history on societies that lacked these things you saw insane persecution as the norm.

But you could apply this line of reasoning to the protesters as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Galteeth said:
But you could apply this line of reasoning to the protesters as well.

Are they tolerating other peoples views or attacking people for what they believe?

I do agree with evo, a good mix of opinions is required. But me personally, it's a case of tolerating them, I do, but I would never try to enforce my views on others. A courtesy they don't seem to extend.

jarednjames said:
Are they tolerating other peoples views or attacking people for what they believe?

Any protest is, in a sense, attacking someone for what they believe. We have long accepted in this country the notion that even if we disagree with speech, especially political speech, we must allow it, for exactly the reasons that evo outlined. If their religious beliefs compel them to speak out against what they see as a moral evil, then banning their right to speak would constitute an attack on what they believe, and it is certainly not tolerating their views.

To me this gets away from the specific issue in question, and becomes more a question of the validity of the concept of freedom of speech.

Any attempt to change the law is "forcing" your beliefs on other people.
They are not trying to enforce their views in the sense that they are not threatening the people with violence.

Galteeth said:
Any protest is, in a sense, attacking someone for what they believe. We have long accepted in this country the notion that even if we disagree with speech, especially political speech, we must allow it, for exactly the reasons that evo outlined. If their religious beliefs compel them to speak out against what they see as a moral evil, then banning their right to speak would constitute an attack on what they believe, and it is certainly not tolerating their views.

To me this gets away from the specific issue in question, and becomes more a question of the validity of the concept of freedom of speech.

And as per other threads on similar topics, I point out again:

The laws put in place to protect religious people become the enemy of the non-religious, as they hold a clear predjudice towards them, discriminating against them.

Freedom of speech should apply equally to all, but it seems that having a religious argument behind you gives you some additional protection. You can attack my views because your religion wants you to speak out against me, but I can't attack your religious views because I'm encroaching on your religious rights (being non-religious). A nasty snag in the legal system I don't like very much at all.

So far as the issue in the OP goes, you have a bunch of people who don't care for discussion, don't care about how factual their argument is, they just want everyone to believe the same as them and are taking, what I consider, extreme and irrational steps to get the job done.

Like I've said many times previously, believe what you like, I really don't care. But don't try to force your views on me in the same way you expect me not to force mine on yourself. It's give and take. Which is where the law falls down in defending this one sided attitude.

Galteeth said:
Any attempt to change the law is "forcing" your beliefs on other people.

Agreed, although I do believe in majority rule so far as laws go. If the masses say it is legal then it is so. If you present your case and the masses believe it is not legal, it will be changed.
They are not trying to enforce their views in the sense that they are not threatening the people with violence.

I'd say psychological damage from calling someone a murderer and the like is just as bad as threatening with violence, if not worse.

jarednjames said:
And as per other threads on similar topics, I point out again:

The laws put in place to protect religious people become the enemy of the non-religious, as they hold a clear predjudice towards them, discriminating against them.

Freedom of speech should apply equally to all, but it seems that having a religious argument behind you gives you some additional protection. You can attack my views because your religion wants you to speak out against me, but I can't attack your religious views because I'm encroaching on your religious rights (being non-religious). A nasty snag in the legal system I don't like very much at all.

How so? People can protest or speak out against religious views (at least in America.)

Galteeth said:
How so? People can protest or speak out against religious views (at least in America.)
Except non-religious people are like the majority of non-crazy (normal) religious people. They mind their own business.

We're talking about a lunatic fringe, we are not talking about normal religious people, which are the overwhelming majority. Sure there are crazy non-religious people too.

I avoid both.

Evo said:
Except non-religious people are like the majority of non-crazy (normal) religious people. They mind their own business.

We're talking about a lunatic fringe, we are not talking about normal religious people, which are the overwhelming majority. Sure there are crazy non-religious people too.

I avoid both.

I agree with this, and it unfortunate, because you wind up with a silent majority of reasonable people. The loudest, most "interventionist" of people have a disproportionate amount of political power, by means of their activism.

Galteeth said:
I agree with this, and it unfortunate, because you wind up with a silent majority of reasonable people. The loudest, most "interventionist" of people have a disproportionate amount of political power, by means of their activism.
Exactly, I have wonderful, very religious friends that I admire and go to for help. They've always stood by me, bent over backwards to help, truly kind, loving and helpful people.

They are not the ones screaming obscenities at people that they don't know at a critical, emotionally distressing time in those people's lives.