1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused a bit .

1. May 21, 2009 #1
    We are so far at the end of school semester , and our first physics teacher have been changed , bringing a new teacher having a different kind in teaching and a different way in solving problems.
    I used to get on physics 97 over 100 , NOW, I got 70/100.
    What I'm trying to say is that I understood my old teacher way in solving problems but it seems the way our new teacher explains is not that good and I cant understand nothing from him.
    Thank you for taking time reading this.
    Aladdin

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The situation seems disappointing. He might be just a tougher evaluator (grader), or he might simply expect students to be more precise and knows how to say just what is necessary for students to understand - and then expecting students to think based on what he says. Very possibly, he might be less prepared for your course than the instructor whom you just lost, and simply cannot accomplish enough review for himself to give your class the best instruction. He must have been given to your class as an emergency situation and the class just must work harder. Another possibility (you would know this more than the rest of us) is that maybe he is far less experienced at teaching your course.

4. May 22, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I mean this in the most constructive way possible, but what makes you sure it's the teacher? Physics courses tend to get more difficult as they go on, constantly building on fundamentals. Sometimes students who start out doing well, fail to keep up - especially when they don't see a need to put in much effort from the start.

The bottom line is that regardless of how good or bad this new teacher is compared to the old one, you're probably stuck with him, so you need to do what you can to adopt to the new style of teaching. You might start by going to him with the same question you've posted here.

5. May 22, 2009 #4
    Yes you're 100 percent right, he is an emergency teacher,and my old teacher was big in age, and had been teaching this class for about 40 years.

6. May 22, 2009 #5
    Okay, I will .
    But you're right I'm the first in the school here in lebanon , but now I'm actually being lazy in some subjects, but in math and physics its not the case. I give you an example; work energy theorem lets say the old teacher have his own type of explaining and the other teacher has a type,:s..

As a result I will study my old teacher explanation and solving and answer them as my old teacher did, I dont matter the mark all I matter is understanding.

Thank You.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook