Can a Running Dog Have Angular Momentum Relative to a Nearby Merry-Go-Round?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular momentum and torque, specifically in the scenario of a dog running in a straight line relative to a reference point. It is clarified that the dog does have angular momentum and that it does not change as its distance from the reference point increases. It is also noted that no torque is acting on the dog just by running in a straight line, and that the natural state of objects is not to rotate unless an external torque is applied. The speaker expresses difficulty in understanding these concepts and requests suggestions for better comprehension.
kehler
If two things were not connected or touching each other and one of those things were moving with linear rater than rotational velocity - let's say a dog running down the road and a merry go-round on the side of the road - can we still calculate the angular momentum of the dog relative to the centre of the merry go round? Does the dog even have angular momentum since it's running in a straight line?
I'm having trouble grasping the concepts of angular momentum and torque. I've read the text I can't apply what I've read given a question that doesn't just involve plucking in numbers into a formula. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
kehler said:
If two things were not connected or touching each other and one of those things were moving with linear rater than rotational velocity - let's say a dog running down the road and a merry go-round on the side of the road - can we still calculate the angular momentum of the dog relative to the centre of the merry go round?
Sure.
Does the dog even have angular momentum since it's running in a straight line?
About that point it does (but not about its center of mass, which is what you might be thinking of). After all, it is kind of "rotating" about that point as it passes by.

Reading these might help a bit: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/amom.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. So if the dog has angular momentum, its angular momentum with respect to that point must be changing every second since it's distance from that point keeps increasing. I guess this would mean that torque is acting on the dog. Is that right?
Does this mean that the natural state of objects is to rotate unless an external torque acts upon it?

kehler said:
So if the dog has angular momentum, its angular momentum with respect to that point must be changing every second since it's distance from that point keeps increasing.
No. Its angular momentum is given by:
[tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r}\times\vec{p}[/tex]

Where p is the dog's linear momentum and r is the position vector vector of the dog as measured from the reference point in question. The magnitude of that vector product equals [itex]rp\sin\theta[/itex]. Even though the distance r changes, the product [itex]r\sin\theta[/itex] does not change. (It's the distance from the reference point to the line of the dog's motion.)

So the dog's angular momentum about that point doesn't change and thus no torque is required.
I guess this would mean that torque is acting on the dog. Is that right?
Not at all. It would be pretty weird if the dog felt a torque acting just by running in a straight line.
Does this mean that the natural state of objects is to rotate unless an external torque acts upon it?
Not at all.

Thanks for that. I think I might have to read the chapter again. It's rather difficult to get it in my head after years of just dealing with linear momentum and energy.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that depends on an object's mass, speed, and radius of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. Linear momentum is a vector quantity that depends on an object's mass and velocity, while angular momentum also depends on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that the initial angular momentum of a system will remain the same even if the system experiences changes in its rotational motion.

4. How does angular momentum relate to the stability of rotating objects?

Objects with a higher angular momentum, or a greater moment of inertia and angular velocity, tend to be more stable in their rotational motion. This is because they have a greater resistance to changes in their rotational state, making it more difficult to alter their direction or speed of rotation.

5. How is angular momentum calculated?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the mass and distribution of mass of an object, while the angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time taken to complete the rotation.