1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about answer to problem.

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.57 kg brick measures 20.0 cm x 8.00 cm x 5.50 cm. Taking the zero of potential energy when the brick lies on its broadest face. (a) What is the potential energy when the brick is standing on end? Note: You can treat the brick as though all its mass is concentrated at its center. (b) What is the potential energy when it's balanced on its 8 cm edge?

2. Relevant equations

Ug=mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

I could not figure out the first part of the question because I don't know what "standing on end" means.

As for B:

m = 1.57 kg
    g = 9.81
    h = 0.08 m

Ug = (1.57)(9.81)(0.08) = 1.23 J

That is the answer I get, but Mastering Physics tells me that there was a rounding error and the answer is 1.17 J and I cannot figure out where I was wrong. This is not supposed to be a hard problem. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it??

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2
    Check the difference of CM between 20.0 cm x 8.00 cm surface facing the floor and that of
    8.00 cm x 5.50 cm.

I guess it is between the broadest and the least broad. There are 3 dimensions of faces.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    Thanks for replying! Could you explain to me what you mean by check the difference? I'm a little slow...

5. Sep 23, 2012 #4
    If it is standing with height of 20cm, then the height of CM is 10cm.
    Likewise if it is standing with height of 5.5cm, then the CM must be (5.5/2)cm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook