Confused about black holes and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the movement of black holes. The speaker's understanding of relativity suggests that an infinitely massive object like a black hole would require infinite energy to move, but this is not the case. Black holes do not have an infinite mass, but rather a finite mass with extremely high density. The energy for their movement comes from their gravity, and an encounter with another black hole is not the only situation in which a black hole can move.
hazhar
as a warning, my knowledge of physics is purely on the level of 'mild interest'. Any innacuracies/stupidities in the following post are because of this, and I hope you'll make allowances for my layman status :tongue:

basically, I'm confused as to how black holes 'move'. My understanding of relativity is that the more massive an object, the more energy it requires to accelerate... but my understanding of the nature of a black hole is that it is infinitely massive... Does that mean a black hole requires infinite energy to accelerate, even a tiny amount? That seems like a mildly valid situation... but say we have 2 black holes, very close to each other. Presumably their gravity will cause them to move towards each other... but where is the energy for this move coming from? And would an encounter with another black hole be the only situation in which a black hole will move?

I hope that makes enough sense for you to be able to explain what the solution to this is :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
but my understanding of the nature of a black hole is that it is infinitely massive...

Here lies a basic problem, black holes do NOT have an infinite mass. There mass is finite but the density of the mass approaches infinity.

Here lies a basic problem, black holes do NOT have an infinite mass. There mass is finite but the density of the mass approaches infinity.

heh. i thought it would be something simple like that. nevermind then... :uhh:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. This happens when a massive star collapses in on itself, creating a singularity with infinite density and zero volume.

2. How does a black hole form?

Black holes form when a massive star runs out of fuel and can no longer sustain nuclear fusion in its core. Without the outward pressure from fusion, the star collapses under its own gravity, eventually becoming a black hole.

3. What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for anything that gets too close to a black hole. It marks the boundary where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, meaning even light cannot escape from it.

4. How does acceleration play a role in black holes?

In black holes, acceleration is caused by the intense gravitational pull towards the singularity. As an object gets closer to the black hole, the acceleration increases exponentially, eventually reaching the speed of light at the event horizon.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has crossed the event horizon. This includes light, matter, and even information, as everything gets pulled into the singularity at the center.