What is the Force Between Two Protons 1.0m Apart?

In summary, to find the force acting on two protons that are 1.0m apart, we can use the equation [(9E+9)(1.602E-19)(1.602E-19)]/(1.0)² and solve for the answer.
ajd

Homework Statement

two protons are 1.0m apart. find the force acting on them.
q1= 1.602E-19C
q2= 1.602E-19c

Homework Equations

i just don't get how to work it out

The Attempt at a Solution

ive got this far up to now [(9E+9)(1.602E-19)(1.602E-19)]/(1.0)². don't know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
ajd said:

Homework Statement

two protons are 1.0m apart. find the force acting on them.
q1= 1.602E-19C
q2= 1.602E-19c

Homework Equations

i just don't get how to work it out

The Attempt at a Solution

ive got this far up to now [(9E+9)(1.602E-19)(1.602E-19)]/(1.0)². don't know where to go from here

Just do the math.

ok i think i got it now

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law calculated?

Coulomb's Law is calculated using the equation F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the electrostatic force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of Coulomb's constant in the equation?

Coulomb's constant, represented by the symbol k, is a proportionality constant that relates the electrostatic force to the charges and distance between two particles. Its value is approximately 9 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used for both positive and negative charges. The direction of the force will depend on the signs of the charges. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive-negative) will attract each other.

5. What are some real-life applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law has many real-life applications, including understanding the behavior of electric charges in circuits, designing electronic devices, and predicting the behavior of particles in atoms and molecules. It is also used in fields like telecommunications, aerospace engineering, and medical imaging.