Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about Fiber Lasers

1. Mar 18, 2006 #1
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me about fiber lasers. I don't mean those used as transmitters on optical fiber systems; I mean lasers that contain optical fibers as components.

I know that it can be done, but I don't know what the structure is like. What part does the fiber play? Is it used as the resonance chamber, the lasing medium, or something else? If anyone could help me I would be very grateful.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I work with Coherent Avia Lasers These lasers have Infrared pumping LEDs in a remote Power Supply. The Infrared beam is carried through Fiber optics to the Laser head itself. In the laser head the infrared energy is used to pump the YAG crystal.

I do not believe that a fiber optic cable could be used for the main cavity. Fiber optic cables are used to transport a optical signal, they are wire of optical systems.

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?