Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about finding limit

1. Nov 10, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am asked to evaluate this limit

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{3x^2+11x+7}+\sqrt{3x^2-11x+7}}{x+\sqrt{x^2+7}} [/tex]

but without use of the basic operations on limits (ex: the limit of a sum is the sum of the limits if they exist, etc.) (because they are to be introduced only in the next chapter). I know the limit is very easily computed: just divide the numerator and the denominator by x and the answer is [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]:

[tex]= \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{3+\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}+\sqrt{3-\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}}{1+\sqrt{1+\frac{7}{x^2}}} = \sqrt{3}[/tex]

But what is the "method" to arrive to this conclusion? The facts that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{11}{x} = 0[/tex]

and that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{7}{x^2} = 0[/tex]

are useless if we cannot use the operations on limits. I hope I made clear where my confusion comes from. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2004 #2

kreil

Gold Member

There are 3 rules of infinite limits:

1. If the power of the top is the same as the power of the bottom, take the coefficients:

[tex]
    \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac {4x^2 + 3x + 7}{2x^2 + 2x + 1} = \frac {4}{2}=2
    [/tex]

2. If the power of the bottom is larger than the power of the top, the limit is zero:

[tex]
    \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac {x^2 + 4x}{x^3 + 7x} = 0
    [/tex]

3. If the power of the top is larger than the power of the bottom, the limit does not exist:

[tex]
    \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac {x^3 + 3x - 7}{x^2 + 4x} = dne
    [/tex]

I don't think these are operations; they are just facts. In your case:

[tex]
    \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{3x^2+11x+7}+\sqrt{3x^2-11x+7}}{x+\sqrt{x^2+7}}
    [/tex]

the top and bottom are only to the power [tex] x^1 [/tex] and so you take the coefficients, [tex] \frac {\sqrt{3}}{1}=\sqrt{3} [/tex] Hopefully this helps you.

4. Nov 11, 2004 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to use your rules. Only the definition of limit, the caracterisation with sequences and a few theorems about the unicity and the "limit to the right, limit to the left" caracterisation.

Let me ask the question another way: What are the steps between

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{3+\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}+\sqrt{3-\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}}{1+\sqrt{1+\frac{7}{x^ 2}}}[/tex]

and

[tex] = \sqrt{3}[/tex]

I tought of something this morning, could it be it? Now that we suspect using our "sense" that the limit is [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex], we may use the [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex] definition to prove that it is indeed [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]. But I don't really see how. :shy:

5. Nov 11, 2004 #4

sal

Right, but because you're taking the limit as x goes to infinity, not zero, I would tend to use "N" rather than epsilon.

To save space, let

[tex]f(x) = \frac{\sqrt{3+\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}+
    \sqrt{3-\frac{11}{x}+\frac{7}{x^2}}}
    {1+\sqrt{1+\frac{7}{x^ 2}}}
    [/tex]

To apply the definition directly, what you need to do is assume you have a value for delta, and then solve for N in the equation:

[tex]f(N) - \sqrt{3} = \delta[/tex]

And once you've done that, you need to show that

[tex]x > N \Rightarrow |f(x) - \sqrt{3}| < |f(N) - \sqrt{3}|[/tex]

It looks likely to get messy, which, if nothing else, illustrates why we don't generally work directly from the definition of the limit.

6. Nov 11, 2004 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Great, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?