Why Does the Higgs Boson Prefer to Decay into W Bosons Over Z Bosons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the branching ratios for Higgs decay to W and Z particles for different Higgs masses. The coupling between Z and Higgs is bigger, yet the branching ratio for Higgs to WW is almost double that of Higgs to ZZ. At low masses, the mass difference leads to a large difference in branching ratios, but at high Higgs masses, the ratio of WW to ZZ approaches 2.0. It is suggested that this could be a result of a simple counting of Clebsch-Gordon coefficients.
kelly0303
Hello! In the (famous) plot I attached we have the branches ratios for the Higgs decay for different Higgs masses. I am sure that sitting down and doing the Feynman diagram calculation (to 1 or 2 next to leading order?) I will get these curves. But I am a bit confused about the physics intuition behind the decay to W and Z. The coupling between Z and Higgs is bigger than the coupling between W and Higgs (by a factor of ##\frac{1}{(cos{\theta_w})^2}##). Yet the branching ratio for Higgs to WW is almost double that Higgs to ZZ for a wide range of energies. Of course the mass of the Z is higher so the phase space is smaller in this case, compared to W, but I wouldn't expect that a 10GeV difference to create such a big effect on the branching ratio, especially at big Higgs masses where a 10GeV difference should be almost insignificant. Is there a physical intuition as to why is this happening or it's just math and renormalization group stuff, without an actual deep physical meaning? What I mean by this is: could someone, knowing all the parameters involved, but without actually calculating the Feynman diagrams, predict that the branching ratio to W will be bigger than to Z? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 03.17.39.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 03.17.39.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 173
Physics news on Phys.org
At low masses (below both WW and ZZ threshold) the mass difference leads to a large difference in branching ratios. Then you get a narrow region where WW can be on-shell while ZZ has to be off-shell, that region is completely dominated by WW. Afterwards both WW and ZZ are important. The Higgs cross section working group has tables, the ratio of WW to ZZ approaches 2.0 at high Higgs mass. That makes me think it might be a simple counting thing in some way. W+W- vs. W-W+?

mfb said:
that makes me think it might be a simple counting thing in some way. W+W- vs. W-W+?

Yes.

One level deeper, it's the sum of the squares of Clebsch-Gordon coefficients that happen to be 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3.

Likes mfb

1. What is the Higgs decay?

The Higgs decay refers to the process in which the Higgs boson, a subatomic particle discovered in 2012, transforms into other particles. This decay is a crucial phenomenon in the Standard Model of particle physics and helps explain the origin of mass in the universe.

2. Why is the Higgs decay important?

The Higgs decay is important because it provides evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson and confirms the predictions of the Standard Model. It also helps scientists understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.

3. How does the Higgs boson decay?

The Higgs boson can decay into a variety of particles, including photons, W and Z bosons, and fermions such as electrons and quarks. The specific decay pathway depends on the energy of the Higgs boson and the available decay channels.

4. What is the role of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in studying Higgs decay?

The LHC, the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, is crucial in studying Higgs decay. It produces high-energy collisions that can create Higgs bosons, allowing scientists to study their properties and decay processes in detail.

5. What are the implications of understanding Higgs decay?

Understanding Higgs decay can provide insight into the fundamental building blocks of our universe and how they interact. It can also help scientists develop new theories and technologies, such as advanced medical imaging techniques and more efficient energy production methods.