Confused about how to solve this problem combining sinusoids

In summary, the textbook problems states: y=cos3x +sin3x and you are to combine it to a single cos function and tell what effect the 3 has. The answer in the back of the book is given as sqrt2*cos(3x-pi/4) and that the 3 means the wave has a horizontal dilation of 1/3. Homework Equations general solution for a sinusoid y = C+A*cosB(X-D) where C is the axis, A is the amplitude, B is the reciprocal of the period, X is the angle in radians and D is the phase displacement. To find A, you use the Pythagorean theorem and find that
guns4monkeys

Homework Statement

The textbook problems states: y=cos3x +sin3x and you are to combine it to a single cos function and tell what effect the 3 has. The answer in the back of the book is given as sqrt2*cos(3x-pi/4) and that the 3 means the wave has a horizontal dilation of 1/3.

Homework Equations

general solution for a sinusoid y = C+A*cosB(X-D) where C is the axis, A is the amplitude, B is the reciprocal of the period, X is the angle in radians and D is the phase displacement.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. find A using the pythagorean theorem: so from the original equation y=cos3x+sin3x, we get A=sqrt of 1^2+1^2 or the sqrt of 2 (because the coefficients in the above equation are both 1)

2. Find D by finding the inverse tan of 1/1, because the two coefficients in this prob. are both 1. So the inverse tan of 1 is pi/4.

3. Then I substitued pi/4 for D in the general sinusoid equation sqrt of 2 for A, giving me:
y=sqrt2*cosB(x-pi/4)

4. I used the 3's from the original problem as B in my general equation. so now I have:
y=sqrt2*cos3(x-pi/4)
This is what I thought the answer should be...why does the correct answer have the 3 inside the parenthesis like this: y=sqrt2*cos(3x-pi/4)? It seems to me that the 3 should not only be distributed to the X, but should be outside the parenthesis so that it gets distributed over both X and D.

Please help me understand where I'm going wrong.

Thanks so much.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you started with y=cos(x)+sin(x), you would get y=sqrt2*cos(x-pi/4), right? Now, to turn y=cos(x)+sin(x) into y=cos(3x)+sin(3x), you replace every x by 3x. You don't replace every x-pi/4 by 3x-3pi/4; that would be equivalent to replacing every x by 3x-pi/2.

Avodyne said:
Now, to turn y=cos(x)+sin(x) into y=cos(3x)+sin(3x), you replace every x by 3x.

but isn't 3 the reciprocal of the horizontal dilation? ie B in the general sinusoidal equation: y = C+A*cosB(X-D)

If 3 is the reciprocal of the horizontal dilation, how can I simply place it into the (x-D) portion of the equation?

Thanks
guns4monkeys

I just explained the correct answer using a very general math principle. You've apparently been taught some set of rules for these kinds of combinations. These rules must agree with general math principles, or they're wrong. In general, you're much better off trying to understand the general principle, rather than learning how to apply a set of rules.

Avodyne said:
I just explained the correct answer using a very general math principle. You've apparently been taught some set of rules for these kinds of combinations. These rules must agree with general math principles, or they're wrong. In general, you're much better off trying to understand the general principle, rather than learning how to apply a set of rules.

I do understand what you said about the substitution of 3x for x in your explanation. Where I am getting confused is the relationship between these two forms of the equation; the general equation form C + A cos B (X-D) where B is the reciprocal of the period and the solution with the 3X in the parenthesis and nothing in the position of B. I really am trying to understand the concepts here. Please be patient with me, I'm not trying to be obnoxious, just trying to really get it.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what's confusing you; I don't know what you mean by "the solution with the 3X in the parenthesis and nothing in the position of B".

Thanks for trying to help me.
Guns4monkeys

1. What are sinusoids and how are they used in problem solving?

Sinusoids are mathematical curves that can be described by the sine or cosine function. They are commonly used in problem solving to model periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electrical signals, and mechanical vibrations.

2. How do I know when to use sinusoids in a problem?

If a problem involves a repeating pattern or oscillating behavior, it is likely that sinusoids can be used to model it. Look for keywords like "periodic," "cyclic," or "oscillating" in the problem statement.

3. What steps should I follow when solving a problem involving sinusoids?

The first step is to identify the amplitude, frequency, and phase shift of the sinusoid. Then, use these values to write the equation for the sinusoid. Next, determine the period of the sinusoid and use this to create a graph of the function. Finally, use the graph to solve the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems with sinusoids?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for units, especially when working with frequency or period. It is also important to correctly identify and use the appropriate values for amplitude, frequency, and phase shift in the equation for the sinusoid.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving problems with sinusoids?

One helpful tip is to remember that the sine and cosine functions have the same shape, but are shifted horizontally and vertically. This can help with graphing and identifying key values. Additionally, practice solving a variety of problems involving sinusoids to become more familiar with their patterns and equations.