1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about kenetic and potential energy problem

1. Nov 18, 2004 #1
    In this problem a mass m is dropped from a height h onto a flat surface. when it bounces it has the same speed before the collision. There is a constant force of air resistance f acting on the mass as it goes through this motion. (answer in terms of f, m, h, v, and g. )

the first asks how fast is the mass going as it collides.
    Wnc=Ef-Ei (Ef=Uf (zero) + 1/2mv^2) (Ei=Ui (mgh) + 1/2mv^2 (initial v=0))
    fhcos180=1/2mv^2-mgh
    mgh-fh=1/2mv^2
    (2h(mg-f))/m=v^2
    got that one.

The second asks how high the mass goes after the collision.
    fhcos180=mgh-1/2mv^2 (the final and initial switch because now the mass is moving upwards and the "final" in this equasion is when the ball reaches the peak.)
    1/2mv^2=mgh+fh
    mv^2=h2(mg+f)
    h=(mv^2)/(2(mg+f))
    v^2=(2h(mg-f))/m so...
    h(after bounce)=(h(original)(mg-f))/(mg+f)
    got that one too.

Now the final part of the problem asks after many bounces the ball stops. the displacement is -h, but it traveled much farther back and forth. what was that distance?

So far all i have is i know that for the ball to come to rest, the velocity and the height must equal zero. (also, Ef and Ei must equal zero.)

I don't have a clue as to what to do here, so could someone give me a push in the right direction? not the whole solution, please.

edit: advanced my solution to the second part

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try analysing the energy involved. The ball stops when the energy lost to friction equals the initial potential energy of the ball.

AM

4. Nov 19, 2004 #3
    wow i must have been tired last night.
    Wnc=-Ei (had that)
    -fd=-mgh (had that)
    d=mgh/f

... is that it? if it is i'm going to kick myself.

5. Nov 19, 2004 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you still have to figure out how many bounces that takes.

AM

6. Nov 19, 2004 #5
    Nah, i should have typed it neater.
    "After many bounces the ball stops (just a statement). The displacement is -h, but over the ball traveled a considerably larger distance. What was that distance?"

7. Nov 20, 2004 #6
    A 10kg box is pulled 10m up an inclineed plane by a force of 100n parallel to the incline. The coefficient of friction is .1 (a) What is the work done by force? (b)what is the block potential energy? (c)what is the increase in block kinetic energy? (d)What is the work done against friction? (e)What is the final velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?