Understanding Lasers: Questions and Answers

In summary, according to the book I read, when you have a laser, a lot of photons are spontaneously emitted and they get amplified. However, there is an issue with these photons not being in phase, which causes the amplification to be inefficient.
Malamala
I am sorry if these questions are basics, but I am not sure I totally understand the basics of how a laser works and the books I read are not totally clear for me, so any explanation would be greatly appreciated. So assuming we have a plane mirrors cavity and a gain medium in between, we create a population inversion in the gain medium, which initially creates photons by spontaneous emission and the photons that are produced parallel to the axis of the cavity gets amplified. The amplification is produced by stimulated emission due to the fact that the photons produced this way are in phase with the initial ones. So in the end from one spontaneous emitted photon you have a lots of photons. Here are my questions:

1) These spontaneous emissions can happen many times and at different locations inside the gain medium. But these spontaneously emitted photons are not in phase with each other (but they have the same frequency). So if 2 spontaneously emitted photon are out of phase by half a period, even if they get individually amplified a lot you would have 2 huge bunches of photon out of phase with each other. So the 2 electric fields would be huge, but they would cancel each other, so the output of the laser would be zero. Of course perfect cancelation is unlikely but I feel like overall, given the huge number of spontaneously emitted photons there would be lots of cancelations. So even if the amplification of one photon is super efficient overall it seems like this is an inefficient process due to this out of phase problem. What am I missing here?

2) Assuming there is just one bunch of photons (basically ignoring the problem in 1) ), the laser output appears when these photons hit one of the mirrors. So this happens every 2L/c seconds, where c is the speed of light in that medium and L the length of the cavity. So the laser created will appear as a pulse. However, I read that there are continuous wave lasers, too. How does that work? Doesn't the light still need to go back and forth between the 2 mirrors, how can you get a continuous output?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea of a laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) is that you populate the excited levels (by pumping) to such an extent that stimulated emission dominates spontaneous emission.

2) one of the mirrors transmits a fraction of the photons that go back and forth a large number of times. Pulse lasts as long as population inversion is maintained.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
BvU said:
The idea of a laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) is that you populate the excited levels (by pumping) to such an extent that stimulated emission dominates spontaneous emission.

2) one of the mirrors transmits a fraction of the photons that go back and forth a large number of times. Pulse lasts as long as population in version is maintained.
This doesn't answer my questions. For the first one, I know that you build it such that the stimulated emission dominates over spontaneous emission. But there will be lots of spontaneously emitted photons that gets amplified and even if the photons created by the amplification of one spontaneously emitted photon will be in phase, there is no reason for 2 initially spontaneously emitted photons to be in phase. For example, assume that you have 2 spontaneously emitted photons (emitted along the axis of the cavity), with the same frequency but having a phase difference of half a period. Each of them will get amplified a lot and the electric field associated to the amplification of each of them will be big, but they will be out of phase by half a period. So in the end you end up with 2 big electric fields, with the same frequency, but half a period out of phase. So they will destructively interfere so the total electric field leaving the cavity will be zero, even if the individual electric field are really big.

For the second question, I am not sure you understood what I asked. This is what I said in my post, too. You have a bunch of photons that go back and forth between the mirrors. When this bunch of photons hit one of the mirrors, part of this energy gets transmitted. But this is a pulsed energy i.e. the energy leaves the cavity only when the bunch of photons hits the mirror. However I read that there are also continuously wave lasers in which, the output of the laser is continuous and not in pulses as before. How can one create such a continuous laser?

Malamala said:
1) These spontaneous emissions can happen many times and at different locations inside the gain medium. But these spontaneously emitted photons are not in phase with each other (but they have the same frequency). So if 2 spontaneously emitted photon are out of phase by half a period, even if they get individually amplified a lot you would have 2 huge bunches of photon out of phase with each other. So the 2 electric fields would be huge, but they would cancel each other, so the output of the laser would be zero. Of course perfect cancelation is unlikely but I feel like overall, given the huge number of spontaneously emitted photons there would be lots of cancelations. So even if the amplification of one photon is super efficient overall it seems like this is an inefficient process due to this out of phase problem. What am I missing here?
Energy can't disappear and you can't have two independent groups of photons like that. While the lasing process might start in two places with a specific phase shift this process can't happen in the same volume (and the stronger one will "win" quickly). Reducing the laser intensity would need a transition from the lower to the higher energy state, not the opposite. This transition happens, of course, but less often than the opposite.
Malamala said:
2) Assuming there is just one bunch of photons (basically ignoring the problem in 1) ), the laser output appears when these photons hit one of the mirrors. So this happens every 2L/c seconds, where c is the speed of light in that medium and L the length of the cavity. So the laser created will appear as a pulse. However, I read that there are continuous wave lasers, too. How does that work? Doesn't the light still need to go back and forth between the 2 mirrors, how can you get a continuous output?
There is light everywhere in the cavity.

Likes BvU

1. What is a laser and how does it work?

A laser is a device that emits a narrow, intense beam of light. It works by using a process called stimulated emission, where atoms in a material are excited by an external energy source and release photons of light in a specific direction. These photons bounce back and forth between two mirrors, amplifying each other and creating a coherent beam of light.

2. What are the different types of lasers?

There are several types of lasers, including gas lasers, solid-state lasers, and semiconductor lasers. Gas lasers use a gas mixture to produce a laser beam, while solid-state lasers use a solid material such as crystal or glass. Semiconductor lasers, also known as diode lasers, use a semiconductor material to produce a laser beam.

3. How are lasers used in everyday life?

Lasers have a wide range of applications in everyday life, including in telecommunications, barcode scanners, laser printers, and DVD players. They are also used in medical procedures, such as laser eye surgery and cosmetic treatments, as well as in industrial processes like cutting and welding.

4. Are lasers dangerous?

Yes, lasers can be dangerous if not used properly. The intensity and wavelength of the laser beam determine its potential hazards. Exposure to high-powered lasers can cause eye and skin injuries, while lower-powered lasers can still cause harm if used improperly. It is important to follow safety precautions and use protective gear when working with lasers.

5. What is the future of laser technology?

The future of laser technology is constantly evolving and expanding. Some potential developments include the use of lasers in 3D printing, quantum computing, and space exploration. Researchers are also exploring ways to make lasers more efficient and cost-effective, as well as developing new applications for them in various industries.