1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about light

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    Confused about light!!

Hello everyone,

I'm confused about light. I know when a photon with certain matching energy comes, it excites the electrons to a higher orbital, and releases a photon when it comes back.

1. What happens to the orginal photon that lost energy?
    2. I then read about absorption and reflection, then they were talking about resonance. I don't understand how what I described above with photons apply to reflection and absorption. Can anyone explain me to me with photon theory what happens in absorption and reflection.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    Re: Confused about light!!

When a photon is absorbed by an electron, it disappears. You could think of it as the photon combines with the electron to create an excited electron.

I'm not sure I understand your second question.
  4. Apr 22, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

When you get reflection, a photon is not just interacting with one atom. The simple H atom is not an appropriate model to deal with EM wave interaction with a solid reflector. You don't get 'spectral lines' either by absorption or re-radiation in condensed matter, you get a broad band effect in which the energy of photons corresponding to a wide range of frequencies gets re-directed at the frequency of the original wave, in a 'specular' reflection. You can treat the process in terms of waves (it behaves classically).
  5. Apr 22, 2010 #4

Thank you both for your replies :smile: They were helpful. I can understand the second question through waves. So my question basically is

For reflection is this what happens or to understand reflection I have to consider light as a wave. If what I have quoted is not reflection what is it?

Basically to understand reflection and absorption do I have to consider light as a wave?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook