Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about LIGO

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1

wolram

Gold Member

From WIKI,

In February 2007, GRB 070201, a short gamma-ray burst, arrived at Earth from the direction of the Andromeda Galaxy, a nearby galaxy. The prevailing explanation of most short gamma-ray bursts is the merger of a neutron star with either a neutron star or black hole. LIGO reported a non-detection for GRB 070201, ruling out a merger at the distance of Andromeda with high confidence

How can a none detection rule out anything, it may be that the detector was not working?
    If a gravitational wave was not detected may be there are none to be detected.

I know that advanced LIGO will not be online until 2014 so what will happen if this new LIGO has null results?

I find it hard to imagine space ringing like a bell as some one once said, it seems in my humble opinion to be none intuitive .

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It can rule out something on the basis of general relativity. General relativity could be wrong, but as far as I know, there is no viable alternative which does not include gravitational waves.

Then we'll need something completely new in some way (assuming the detector works properly).

Physics is often counter-intuitive, and there are countless examples where this has been demonstrated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook