Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about pH and ionsplease help

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. If the statement ph=-log([H+] is true, then how come a solution can be acidic when carbonate is present? I have been told that even if carbonate does not accept H+ the solution will still be basic just by the presence of CO3(2-)? The confusion is this: ph only depends on [H+] then how come the presence of negative ions change the acidity level, even if they don’t actually accept hydrons?

I thought acidity levels change ONLY because CO3(-2) ----> H2CO3 H+ is taken away.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Carbonate anion is a base, but it can accept hydrogen ion and be protonated. If protonated, it is an acid, H2CO3, carbonic acid.

A solution of carbonic acid contains CO3-2, HCO3-1, H2CO3, and solvated H+ .

How does that work?
    A solution of carbonic acid will give this incomplete reaction causing an equilibrated concentration of each reactant and product:
    H2CO3 <------> H+ + HCO3-
    AND
    HCO3- <-------> H+ + CO3-2

Carbonic acid is a weak acid, so the presence of reactant is favored in contrast to the products.

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    I see so HCO3(-) is preferred and therefore CO3(-2) takes away H+ from the solution, BUT is it tru that the presence of a acid or base in its acid or base form (with out reacting) would cause a solution to change acidity? And is it true that negatively charged ions can make a solution more basic without sucking up H+ ?? Or is it ONLY the presence of H+ and OH- that determines how acidic or basic a solution is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook