Guitar String's 2nd Overtone Frequency

In summary, the fundamental frequency of a guitar string is 500 Hz and its second overtone, or third harmonic, has a frequency of 1500 Hz. Overtones are created when a string vibrates in different fractions of its fundamental wavelength, and these overtones create the unique sound of different stringed instruments.
teggenspiller

Homework Statement

If a guitar string has a fundamental frequency of 500 Hz, what is the frequency of its second overtone?

A. 250 Hz
B. 750 Hz
C. 1 000 Hz
D. 1 500 Hz

Homework Equations

fundamental frequency is 2times wavelenth, lambda

and the second overtone=the third harmonic.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, 3*fundamental frequency would make it 1500. its wrong.
then i was thinking the freqency of fundamental is 2*length of string, so i did 500Hz/2 = wavelength of string and multiplied by 3.

ahh. Futhermore, but foremost, i need to understand what in the heck an overtone is. and why there are 1st, second, 3rd. if i have a string and I am on its first harmonic, how do i get to it's second? by plucking it again? or with time it increases? i don't understand that conceptual part of harmonics and so its preventing me from applying the concepts. but i also need help with that question. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

teggenspiller said:

Homework Statement

If a guitar string has a fundamental frequency of 500 Hz, what is the frequency of its second overtone?

A. 250 Hz
B. 750 Hz
C. 1 000 Hz
D. 1 500 Hz

Homework Equations

fundamental frequency is 2times wavelenth, lambda

and the second overtone=the third harmonic.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, 3*fundamental frequency would make it 1500. its wrong.
then i was thinking the freqency of fundamental is 2*length of string, so i did 500Hz/2 = wavelength of string and multiplied by 3.

ahh. Futhermore, but foremost, i need to understand what in the heck an overtone is. and why there are 1st, second, 3rd. if i have a string and I am on its first harmonic, how do i get to it's second? by plucking it again? or with time it increases? i don't understand that conceptual part of harmonics and so its preventing me from applying the concepts. but i also need help with that question. thanks!

I think the answer is 1500 Hz. The only think I can think of is that there is a variation in terminology and the test maker is counting differently.

About overtones: when you pluck a string, you get a standing wave making the string vibrate with a note at the bridge and at the nut (i.e., the two ends of the string). You also get the string vibrating with a nodes at the bridge, nut and center (over a guitar's 12th fret). That is the first overtone (a.k.a. the second harmonic). Having half the wavelength of the the fundamental, it has twice the frequency (i.e., the octave above the fundamental). You can easily demonstrate the existence of the first overtone by plucking the string and then lightly touching it at the 12th fret. That prevent there being an antinode there, preventing the fundamental from sounding. When you do this, it allows the first overtone to keeps sounding (along with other odd-numbered overtones), so you hear the sound leap up an octave.

Plucking the strong also give the other overtones as well. Here is an http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/physics/waves/standingWaves/standingWaves1/StandingWaves1.html" of multiple standing waves on a violin string. It let's you look at individual harmonics or the sum effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you so much. i do not completely understand harmonics still, but you provided an EXCELLENT explanation. Thanks!

teggenspiller said:
thank you so much. i do not completely understand harmonics still, but you provided an EXCELLENT explanation. Thanks!

Let me try again, because it is not that difficult an idea. Have a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Harmonic_partials_on_strings.svg" .

When a string vibrates like it is shown in the top of the image, we say it is one half-wavelength. Let's say the string length is L. The wavelength is then 2L. Now suppose the wave moves along the string at speed V. That means the frequency f is given by
f=V/(2L)​
That is the fundamental (or the first harmonic).

While the string vibrates in one half-wavelength, it can also simultaneously vibrate in two half-wavelengths. (The second line of the diagram shows the two half-wavelengths, but not superimposed on the one half-wavelength.) That vibration of the string has a wavelength L and a frequency
f'=V/L = 2f​
and it is call the first overtone (or second harmonic).

Carrying on to the next step, we get
f''=V/(2L/3)= 1.5V/L=3f

Next next comes f'''=4f, f''''=5f, etc.

All those sounds blends together with various volumes to make the string's sound. When two strings sound different (like a guitar string and a banjo string) it is because different overtones are accentuated or supressed.

It that any better?

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to clarify that the term "overtone" refers to the additional frequencies produced by a vibrating string above the fundamental frequency. In terms of guitar strings, the fundamental frequency is the first harmonic, and the overtones are the higher frequencies that are produced simultaneously with the fundamental frequency.

To answer the question, the second overtone would be the third harmonic, which is 3 times the fundamental frequency. Therefore, the frequency of the second overtone in this scenario would be 1500 Hz.

In order to produce the second overtone, you can either pluck the string again or let the string continue to vibrate after the initial pluck. The second overtone will naturally occur as the string vibrates.

I hope this clarifies the concept of overtones and their relation to harmonics. Remember, the fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency produced by a vibrating string, and the overtones are the higher frequencies that occur simultaneously.

1. What is the second overtone frequency of a guitar string?

The second overtone frequency of a guitar string is the frequency at which the string vibrates with twice the wavelength of its fundamental frequency. It is also known as the second harmonic or the first overtone.

2. How is the second overtone frequency of a guitar string calculated?

The second overtone frequency of a guitar string can be calculated by multiplying the fundamental frequency by 2. For example, if the fundamental frequency is 440 Hz, the second overtone frequency would be 880 Hz.

3. How does the length and thickness of a guitar string affect its second overtone frequency?

The second overtone frequency of a guitar string is inversely proportional to its length and directly proportional to its thickness. This means that a shorter and thicker string will have a higher second overtone frequency, while a longer and thinner string will have a lower second overtone frequency.

4. Can the second overtone frequency of a guitar string be changed?

Yes, the second overtone frequency of a guitar string can be changed by adjusting the length or thickness of the string. It can also be changed by changing the tension of the string, as this affects the speed at which the wave travels along the string.

5. How does the second overtone frequency of a guitar string affect the sound produced?

The second overtone frequency of a guitar string produces a higher-pitched sound compared to the fundamental frequency. This adds complexity and richness to the sound of the guitar and can be heard as a faint ringing or buzzing sound when playing certain notes or chords.