1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about Special Relativity

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that we send a spaceship on a trip to Alpha Centauri, 4 light years away. The space ship travels at a constant speed of .5c, it stops at Alpha C. for 1 year and then it returns to the Earth at constant speed .5c.
    a. Draw a spacetime Diagram with axes x,ct and plot the worldine of the spaceship.
    b. suppose that 1 year after the departure of the spaceship we send a radio message from earth to the spaceship. Plot the worldline of the radio signal.
    c. At what time does it reach the spaceship?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    | .\
    | .. \
    | ... |
    | .. /
    | ./
    where the angle between the ct and x axis is given by

theta = arctan(.5)

b.)I drew a cone with an angle of 45 between the ct and x axis.
    c.) this is what i'm confused about. I'm not sure if I have to take relativity into account since c is the same in all reference frames. So, my answer is 1 year after the message is sent.

Can anyone please tell me if any of this is right? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2008 #2
    does anyone have any ideas? I'm still really confused about this one. The only things that we've gone over so far are the basic Gallilean transformations and Lorentz transformations. But, i just dont see how either of them would help here. Once again, if anyone could offer any guidance or feedback I would really appreciate it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?