1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about supremum

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1
    Let 0 < r < 1. Then [tex]\sup_{x\in[-r,r]}f(x)=f(r)}[/tex], right? However, the text I'm reading says it's [tex]f(-r)[/tex]. How could this be? For example, say r = 0.5, then the least upper bound of [-0.5, 0.5] is 0.5, or r, right? I don't see how it could be -r. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi AKBAR! :smile:
    No.

That will be true if f is increasing in [-r,r], but not in most other cases.

What is f? What is the relevance of 0 < r < 1? What is the context? :confused:

4. Jun 4, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are taking the supremum ("least upper bound") of the values of f not x!

For example, if f(x)= x, then f(-r)= -r, f(r)= r and f takes on all values between -r and r. In that case the sup of f(x) on the interval (not the sup of the interval itself) is f(r).

But if f(x)= -x, then f(-r)= r, f(r)= -r and now the supremum occurs at -r: f(-r) is the largest value (in fact it is the maximum value).

And it can get more complicated than that. If f(x)= -x2, then f(-r)= f(r)= -r2< 0. The maximum (and so sup) occurs in the middle of the interval. The sup is f(0)= 0.

5. Jun 4, 2008 #4
    Ahhhh....that really clears things up. Thank you guys.

The function in question was [tex]f(x)=\frac{(n-1)!}{(1+x)^n}[/tex]. So [tex]\sup_{-r\leq x\leq r}\frac{(n-1)!}{(1+x)^n}=\frac{(n-1)!}{(1-r)^n}[/tex] The r comes from the radius of convergence of a Taylor expansion (I'm reading about where T(x) = f(x) ).

Thanks again for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?