1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about torque (again)

1. Dec 22, 2013 #1
    Tell me where I've gone wrong (here r(1,2) means position of point 1 with respect to point 2 etc):

ω x r(1,2)=v(1,2)
    Differentiating both sides with respect to time:
    ω x v(1,2) + [itex]\alpha[/itex] x r(1,2) = a(1,2)
    =>ω x (ω x r(1,2)) + [itex]\alpha[/itex] x r(1,2) = a(1,2)

Now let us imagine a uniform rod in free space of length l and mass m, lying with the origin at its centre. A force F(+[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]) is applied at one end (+l/2[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]). We observe the motion about centre of mass first at time 0:
    Icm=ml2/12
    [itex]\tau[/itex]=+l/2[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] x F[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]=F*l/2[itex]\hat{k}[/itex].
    [itex]\alpha[/itex]=6F/(m*l) [itex]\hat{k}[/itex]
    Now since ω=0,
    a(cm, positive end)=6F/(m*l) [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] x l/2[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]= 3F/m [itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

Now we observe the motion about the positive end:
    [itex]\tau[/itex]=0 (since the force is applied at that very point)
    => [itex]\alpha[/itex]=0
    ω=0
    Hence a(positive end, cm)=0
    =>a(cm, positive end)=0

What have I done wrong? :(
    Edit: By positive end I mean the end which is on the positive side of the x axis.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Things aren't so simple when you take torques with respect to an accelerating point other than the center of mass. You cannot set net torque equal to Iα in such a case.

4. Dec 22, 2013 #3
    Why? And isn't the centre of mass accelerated?

Edit: Didn't read "other than the centre of mass" part. But still, why is it so?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook