Understand Power Loss in a Wire Through V, I and R

• Thread starter kuwerty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the power lost in a power line is equal to the product of the voltage drop (V) and current (I), or VI. In order to reduce power loss, it is advised to decrease the current by increasing the voltage. This is because delivering electricity at a higher voltage results in lower amperage, which allows for the use of smaller and lighter wires, reducing costs and losses due to friction.
kuwerty
I would be grateful if anyone could clear up my confusion with this relatively simple concept. It has been bugging me for 3 years now and I've never had a clear answer from my teachers.

Consider a power line transmitting electricity:
Power loss in the wire = I2R = VI
To reduce power loss I am told you are to reduce the current...

However when you reduce the current (say 10x) you must increase the voltage 10x.

I = V/R therefore Power can also be written as V2/R
If you are increasing the voltage Power loss is anything but decreased?

Physics news on Phys.org
kuwerty said:
I would be grateful if anyone could clear up my confusion with this relatively simple concept. It has been bugging me for 3 years now and I've never had a clear answer from my teachers.

Consider a power line transmitting electricity:
Power loss in the wire = I2R = VI

However when you reduce the current (say 10x) you must increase the voltage 10x.

I = V/R therefore Power can also be written as V2/R
If you are increasing the voltage Power loss is anything but decreased?

The power lost in the line is VI where the V is the voltage DROP across the wire, not the total AC voltage that is being transmitted down the line. The voltage that you get at the end is Vin - Vdrop, so the losses are Vdrop * I, or just I^2 * R.

kuwerty said:
Basically, the concept you're missing is that the same power can be delivered at higher voltages, at lower amperes.

Electricity is delivered through wires at a higher voltage than necessary for a couple of reasons:
- Since the power remains the same, more volts means less amps. High amps requires larger wires than low amps. Smaller wire costs less and weighs less, so supports don't have to be so bulky which, in turn, saves on material thus saving even more money.

- Without going into great detail, low amperage transmits more "easily" than high amperage. Think of a small water pipe. It can deliver water efficiently up to a certain point. Once the flow (compare to amps in a wire) reaches a high enough level, friction loss begins to make a more noticeable effect (think voltage drop). This "friction" accounts for some loss in power, therefore running electricity at a higher voltage reduces that effect.

1. What is power loss in a wire?

Power loss in a wire refers to the energy that is dissipated in the form of heat as electricity flows through a wire. This energy loss is caused by the resistance of the wire, which converts some of the electrical energy into heat energy.

2. How is power loss related to voltage, current, and resistance?

Power loss in a wire is directly proportional to the square of the current (I) and the resistance (R), and inversely proportional to the voltage (V). This relationship is described by the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is the power loss in watts.

3. How does wire thickness affect power loss?

Thicker wires have lower resistance, which means they will have less power loss compared to thinner wires. This is because thicker wires have a larger cross-sectional area, allowing more current to flow through with less resistance.

4. What factors can cause power loss in a wire?

Besides the wire's resistance, factors that can contribute to power loss in a wire include the length of the wire, the material it is made of, and the temperature of the wire. Higher temperatures can increase the resistance of the wire, resulting in greater power loss.

5. How can power loss in a wire be reduced?

To reduce power loss in a wire, you can either decrease the current or the resistance. This can be achieved by using thicker wires, shorter wires, or materials with lower resistivity. Additionally, keeping the wire at a lower temperature can also help reduce power loss.