Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused by simple quantum problem

1. Mar 26, 2004 #1
    Hi, I came across a problem which seems to be pretty simple, but I'm stuck :confused: .

Given a Hamiltonian:

If |E> is a bound state of the Hamiltonian with energy eigenvalue E, show that: [tex]<E| \vec{p} |E>=0[/tex]

So I've been trying something like this:

[tex]\frac{1}{2m}<E|\vec{p} \cdot \vec{p}|E> + <E|V(\vec{x})|E> = E<E|E> = E[/tex]

but I have no idea how to proceed from here.

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

Theres several ways to do this, one elegant way, one brute force way, one abstract mathematical way (probably not suitable if this is a first course).

I'll give you a hint on the brute force way. You are going to want to think of what the operator P is. Strictly speaking, in three dimensions it looks like

P = -i hbar * del. In one dimension its p = -i hbar d/dx

Use the Schroedinger formalism and plow away =)

The abstract method hint is to think of what P does to your state space. Hmm, it looks like a translational operator. Maybe what you are looking for is a statement of translational symmetry.
  4. Mar 27, 2004 #3
    for a bound state, the wavefunction drops to zero at infinity, which allows you to use integration by parts to show that

[tex]\langle p\rangle=m\frac{d\langle x\rangle}{dt}[/tex]

and in a stationary state (i.e. energy eigenvalue), all expectation values are time independent, so the derivative vanishes.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  5. Mar 27, 2004 #4
    Thanks, Haelfix and lethe :redface: .

I thought about using the operator form of p, but I wasn't sure how it acts on the energy eigenstate |E>. Can I just say that after it takes the x derivative of |E>, the state becomes orthorgonal to the original |E>, ie,

[tex]<E|-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}|E> = <E|E'> =0[/tex]

because |E'> is now orthorgonal to |E>?

Hmm....I don't think I'm doing the right thing.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  6. Mar 27, 2004 #5
    I think I figured it out. I used the commutation relation p = - i m hbar*[H,x].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?