Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused by some aspects of thermodynamics

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    I am quite confused by some aspects of thermodynamics. First of all, I just wonder, when the textbook says that "when the constraints are temperature, volume and particle number, minimise F for equilibrium" (and similar statements for G and H), does it mean that the temperature, volume and particle number of the sub-system (i.e. excluding the reservoir) is fixed?

And also, if Z, the partition function, is given, how should I proceed to find the equation of state?

Thank you. :tongue2:

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2
    Because
    [tex]dF \leq -SdT -PdV + \mu dN[/tex]
    then at fixed volume , temperature, and particle number, the free energy can only decrease, if we are at non-equilibrium. Thus temperature, volume, and particle number called "natural" arguments for the free energy.

If you know a partition function, you can calculate free energy. After that you can find pressure, enthropy, and thermodynamic potential using the thermodynamic identities

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?