Confused by the behavior of sqrt(z^2+1)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of branch cuts and the discontinuities of the function sqrt(1 + z^2). It is explained that the function jumps from positive to negative imaginary values as z crosses the negative real axis in a counterclockwise direction. The cut lines for the function are located on the imaginary axis, where z is an imaginary number with either a positive or negative value. It is also mentioned that the square root changes sign when winding around twice, but the branch cut is intended to prevent this from happening. It is also noted that for an n-th root, one must go around n times to return to the initial value.
Measle
(mentor note: this is a homework problem with a solution that the OP would like to understand better)

In Taylor's Complex Variables,

Example 1.4.10
WSK46H9.jpg

Can someone help me understand this? I don't know what they mean by (i, i inf), or how they got it and -it

Attachments

• WSK46H9.jpg
    WSK46H9.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 799
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##(i, i\infty)## is the vertical line in the complex plane along the imaginary axis from ##i## upward to ##i\infty##.

FactChecker said:
##(i, i\infty)## is the vertical line in the complex plane along the imaginary axis from ##i## upward to ##i\infty##.
I see - how does that lead to -it and it? or rather how do you find the discontinuities of sqrt(1 + z^2)?

Last edited:
OK, I'm a little rusty on branch cuts and complex analysis but let me try to reconstruct what that answer is saying. Unfortunately I don't have whatever definition they refer to in terms of the log function.

First, what are they saying about ##\sqrt{z}## as z goes counterclockwise? ##\sqrt{z}## is a solution w to ##w^2 = z = re^{i\theta}## so ##\sqrt z = \sqrt r e^{i(\theta/2)}##. If ##\theta## is just under ##\pi##, ##\theta = \pi - \epsilon##, then we choose as the principal value for ##\sqrt z## the solution with argument, i.e. phase, ##(\pi/2) - (\epsilon/2)##. That makes it a value just to the right of the positive imaginary axis.

But as we increase the angle to something above ##\pi## to ##\theta = \pi + \epsilon##, dividing that by two would give an argument for ##\sqrt z## of just over ##\pi/2##. We choose instead to use the equivalent angle ##\theta = \pi + \epsilon - 2\pi = -\pi + \epsilon##. As a result, the argument of ##\sqrt z## is ##-(\pi/2) + (\epsilon/2)## and the square root is just to the right of the negative imaginary axis.

This accounts for the sentence in the solution "The function ##\sqrt z## jumps from values on the positive imaginary axis to their negatives as z crosses this line [the negative real axis] in the counterclockwise direction".

##\sqrt z## has a discontinuity when z crosses that line, when z goes from a negative real number with a small positive imaginary part to one with a small negative imaginary part. The cut line is where z is a negative real number. So ##\sqrt {z^2 + 1}## is going to have a jump where ##(z^2 + 1)## does that, where ##z^2 + 1## is a negative real number.

##z^2 + 1## has real values ##< 0## when ##z^2 < -1## which means z is an imaginary number ##i \alpha## with either ##\alpha > 1## or ##\alpha < -1##. So the cut lines for ##\sqrt{z^2 + 1}## are those locations on the imaginary axis, the part going from i up and from -i down. As before, when you cross those lines, the square root jumps from values with positive imaginary parts and values with negative imaginary parts.

Likes Delta2 and FactChecker
One thing that may help is considering this other way of seeing what happens when you wind once, twice around ( Sorry if this is what you did)

## \sqrt {e^{i\theta}}=e^{i(\theta/2)} \sqrt{e^(i(\theta +2\pi)}= e^ (i(\theta/2+ \pi)}= e^{(\theta/2)} e^{i\pi} = -e^{i\theta/2}##

So that the square root changes sine when you wind around a second time. The branch cut is intended to prevent that from happening, i.e., to prevent a curve having that property. If you remove the x-axis in above case, no curve will wind twice around.
Notice that if you go around a third time you return to the original value of the square root. In some cases , like that of Logz , you will never return to your initial value. For n-th root, you go around n times.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
One thing that may help is considering this other way of seeing what happens when you wind once, twice around ( Sorry if this is what you did)

$$ \sqrt{e^{(i\theta)}}=e^{i(\theta/2)} \sqrt{e^{(i(\theta +2\pi)}}= e^{(i(\theta/2+ \pi)}= e^{i\theta/2} e^{i\pi} = e^{-i\theta/2} $$

So that the square root changes sine when you wind around a second time. The branch cut is intended to prevent that from happening, i.e., to prevent a curve having that property. If you remove the x-axis in above case, no curve will wind twice around.
Notice that if you go around a third time you return to the original value of the square root. In some cases , like that of Logz , you will never return to your initial value. For n-th root, you go around n times.
I just corrected the LaTeX mistakes.

Likes WWGD
RPinPA said:
OK, I'm a little rusty on branch cuts and complex analysis but let me try to reconstruct what that answer is saying. Unfortunately I don't have whatever definition they refer to in terms of the log function.

First, what are they saying about ##\sqrt{z}## as z goes counterclockwise? ##\sqrt{z}## is a solution w to ##w^2 = z = re^{i\theta}## so ##\sqrt z = \sqrt r e^{i(\theta/2)}##. If ##\theta## is just under ##\pi##, ##\theta = \pi - \epsilon##, then we choose as the principal value for ##\sqrt z## the solution with argument, i.e. phase, ##(\pi/2) - (\epsilon/2)##. That makes it a value just to the right of the positive imaginary axis.

But as we increase the angle to something above ##\pi## to ##\theta = \pi + \epsilon##, dividing that by two would give an argument for ##\sqrt z## of just over ##\pi/2##. We choose instead to use the equivalent angle ##\theta = \pi + \epsilon - 2\pi = -\pi + \epsilon##. As a result, the argument of ##\sqrt z## is ##-(\pi/2) + (\epsilon/2)## and the square root is just to the right of the negative imaginary axis.

This accounts for the sentence in the solution "The function ##\sqrt z## jumps from values on the positive imaginary axis to their negatives as z crosses this line [the negative real axis] in the counterclockwise direction".

##\sqrt z## has a discontinuity when z crosses that line, when z goes from a negative real number with a small positive imaginary part to one with a small negative imaginary part. The cut line is where z is a negative real number. So ##\sqrt {z^2 + 1}## is going to have a jump where ##(z^2 + 1)## does that, where ##z^2 + 1## is a negative real number.

##z^2 + 1## has real values ##< 0## when ##z^2 < -1## which means z is an imaginary number ##i \alpha## with either ##\alpha > 1## or ##\alpha < -1##. So the cut lines for ##\sqrt{z^2 + 1}## are those locations on the imaginary axis, the part going from i up and from -i down. As before, when you cross those lines, the square root jumps from values with positive imaginary parts and values with negative imaginary parts.
nrqed said:
I just corrected the LaTeX mistakes.
Thanks and sorry, I was just leaving the coffee shop and did not have internet access till just now.

1. What is the purpose of the square root in the equation sqrt(z^2+1)?

The square root in this equation is used to find the positive solution for z when solving for the value of sqrt(z^2+1). It is commonly used in mathematical calculations involving square roots and is necessary for obtaining accurate results.

2. How do you graph sqrt(z^2+1)?

The graph of sqrt(z^2+1) is a curve known as a parabola. To plot the graph, you can start by assigning values for z and then calculating the corresponding values for sqrt(z^2+1). These coordinates can then be plotted on a graph to form the curve.

3. What does the behavior of sqrt(z^2+1) reveal about the properties of square roots?

The behavior of sqrt(z^2+1) shows that the square root function is not defined for negative numbers. This is because when z is negative, the value of z^2+1 is always positive, resulting in a real number for the square root. This also highlights the importance of considering the domain and range of a function when working with square roots.

4. Can complex numbers be used in the equation sqrt(z^2+1)?

Yes, complex numbers can be used in the equation sqrt(z^2+1). In fact, the square root function can be extended to include complex numbers, resulting in both a positive and negative solution for the square root. However, the behavior of the function may differ when dealing with complex numbers and it is important to consider the properties of complex numbers when solving equations involving square roots.

5. How can the equation sqrt(z^2+1) be simplified?

The equation sqrt(z^2+1) cannot be simplified any further as the square root cannot be eliminated. However, depending on the context of the problem, the equation may be simplified by substituting different values for z or by using algebraic manipulations to rearrange the equation.