Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused by the question

1. Dec 13, 2006 #1
    Hi I was asked to do a question on Complex numbers. Here is the question

Describe fully the curve in the Argand diagram whose equation is
    |z + 1 + i| = 8 .

Describe fully the three loci determined, as z moves round this curve, by the three complex numbers u, v and w defined as follows:
    (i) u = 2x + iy (where z = x + iy );
    (ii) v = z + 4 + 3i ;
    (iii) w = iv .

I got the first part no problems, its the second part - what does it mean by "as z moves round this curve, by the three complex numbers u, v and w" :confused: I am really confused. Does it mean replace the z in the equation |z + 1 + i| = 8 by u,v and w each time or something else? could somebody help me. Thanks a million.:frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Regard u as a function that maps x + iy to 2x + iy.
    Regard v as a function that maps x + iy to (x+4) + (3+y)i
    Regard w as a function that maps x + iy to (-3-y) + (x+4)i

Find the image of the curve {z : |z+1+i| = 8} under the "functions" u, v, and w.

4. Dec 14, 2006 #3
    Ok, does it mean, taking the function v for example. the locus would be given by
    |(x+4) + (3+y)i+1+i| = 8
    which is |(x+5)+(4+y)i|=8

where z in |z+1+i| = 8 is replaced by the new "function" v=(x+4) + (3+y)i? Thanks

5. Dec 14, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Draw the curve defined by |z + 1 + i| = 8 using black ink, let's call this curve (it's a circle) C. Pick a point somewhere on C, let's call this point x0 + iy0. Draw a red dot at the point 2x0 + iy0. Pick another point x1 + iy1 on C. Draw a red dot at the point 2x1 + iy1. Do this for every point on C. The red curve is the locus determined by v as z moves around C. Describe this curve, and you're done question (i).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?