How Do You Calculate the Period of SHM from a Cosine Function?

In summary, to find the time for one complete vibration when a 2.30 kg mass on a spring has displacement as a function of time given by the equation x(t) = (7.40 cm)cos[(4.16)t-2.42], we can use the fact that the period, T, is equal to 2pi divided by the angular frequency, ω. The angular frequency, ω, is the factor that multiplies t in the cosine function and can be determined from the given equation. By setting the cosine function equal to itself at a given time, we can solve for T and find the time required for one complete vibration.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

A 2.30 kg mass on a spring has displacement as a function of time given by the equation

x(t) = (7.40 cm)cos[(4.16)t-2.42]

a) Find the time for one complete vibration.

The back of the book had this same equation but a different mass, so I was able to figure out the answer was 1.51 seconds that way.

This was originally a 10 part question and I can do all the parts after a, but I can't find a.

I tried plugging in "1.00" but that is wrong, and I used that for another part of the question. Equations such as T= 2pi*sqr(k/m) always have two variables, so I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Please help. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to figure out how much time elapses when the argument (4.16)t - 2.42 of the cosine function changes by [itex] 2 \pi [/itex]. For example at t = 0, you have cos(-2.42).
What would t be to make the value cos(-2.42 + [itex]2\pi[/itex]) ?

Crusaderking1 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.30 kg mass on a spring has displacement as a function of time given by the equation

x(t) = (7.40 cm)cos[(4.16)t-2.42]

a) Find the time for one complete vibration.

The back of the book had this same equation but a different mass, so I was able to figure out the answer was 1.51 seconds that way.

This was originally a 10 part question and I can do all the parts after a, but I can't find a.

I tried plugging in "1.00" but that is wrong, and I used that for another part of the question. Equations such as T= 2pi*sqr(k/m) always have two variables, so I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Please help. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If you have some function x(t) that is periodic, then the period, T, is defined as the time interval such that:

x(t + T) = x(t) (i.e. it is periodic)

So, starting at any given time t, the period T is the time required for the value of the function to return back to the same value it had at time t. So, we want to figure out what value of T satisfies this for the particular function we've been given:

x(t+T) = (7.40 cm)cos[(4.16)(t+T)-2.42] = x(t) = (7.40 cm)cos[(4.16)t-2.42]

It must be true that cos[4.16(t+T) - 2.42] = cos(4.16t - 2.42).

For simplicity, let's pick t = 0 as our example starting value. After T seconds, we want the function to have the same value that it had at t = 0. Therefore, it must be true that:

cos(-2.42) = cos(4.16T - 2.42).

Well, this is true if 4.16T is a multiple of 2pi, since after 2pi radians, the phase of the oscillation (which is the thing you're taking the cosine of) will have gone through one complete cycle, and you'll be back to the same phase angle you started at (-2.42 radians in this case). Therefore, for the first repetition:

4.16T = 2pi

T = 2pi/4.16

So we learned something interesting: the factor which multiplies t in the cosine (which we call the angular frequency ω and which is equal to 4.16 rad/s in this example) is related to the period by the expression T = 2pi/ω. This makes sense, because ω is the rate at which you accumlate "phase" with time, and after one period T, you have accumulated a full cycle's worth of phase, hence ωT = 2pi. So, you can tell at a glance (just by looking at the SHM function) what ω is, and therefore what T is.

For a spring, it turns out that ω = √(k/m), but you didn't need to use that information here, since you were already given ω.

cepheid said:
If you have some function x(t) that is periodic, then the period, T, is defined as the time interval such that:

x(t + T) = x(t) (i.e. it is periodic)

So, starting at any given time t, the period T is the time required for the value of the function to return back to the same value it had at time t. So, we want to figure out what value of T satisfies this for the particular function we've been given:

x(t+T) = (7.40 cm)cos[(4.16)(t+T)-2.42] = x(t) = (7.40 cm)cos[(4.16)t-2.42]

It must be true that cos[4.16(t+T) - 2.42] = cos(4.16t - 2.42).

For simplicity, let's pick t = 0 as our example starting value. After T seconds, we want the function to have the same value that it had at t = 0. Therefore, it must be true that:

cos(-2.42) = cos(4.16T - 2.42).

Well, this is true if 4.16T is a multiple of 2pi, since after 2pi radians, the phase of the oscillation (which is the thing you're taking the cosine of) will have gone through one complete cycle, and you'll be back to the same phase angle you started at (-2.42 radians in this case). Therefore, for the first repetition:

4.16T = 2pi

T = 2pi/4.16

So we learned something interesting: the factor which multiplies t in the cosine (which we call the angular frequency ω and which is equal to 4.16 rad/s in this example) is related to the period by the expression T = 2pi/ω. This makes sense, because ω is the rate at which you accumlate "phase" with time, and after one period T, you have accumulated a full cycle's worth of phase, hence ωT = 2pi. So, you can tell at a glance (just by looking at the SHM function) what ω is, and therefore what T is.

For a spring, it turns out that ω = √(k/m), but you didn't need to use that information here, since you were already given ω.

Thank you very much for your informative and helpful feedback. You also cleared up any confusion I had on the phases.

Stephen Tashi said:
You have to figure out how much time elapses when the argument (4.16)t - 2.42 of the cosine function changes by [itex] 2 \pi [/itex]. For example at t = 0, you have cos(-2.42).
What would t be to make the value cos(-2.42 + [itex]2\pi[/itex]) ?

That does make sense, thanks for your help.

1. What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line, with a constant amplitude and a constant period.

2. What are the key factors that affect SHM?

The key factors that affect SHM are mass, spring constant, and displacement from equilibrium position. These factors determine the period and frequency of the motion.

3. How can I determine the period of SHM?

The period of SHM can be determined by using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

4. What is the difference between SHM and simple harmonic oscillator?

SHM refers to the motion of an object, while a simple harmonic oscillator refers to the system that exhibits SHM. A simple harmonic oscillator can be a pendulum, a mass-spring system, or any other system that follows the principles of SHM.

5. How can I solve a simple SHM problem?

To solve a simple SHM problem, you can use the equations T = 2π√(m/k) and x = A*cos(2πt/T), where T is the period, m is the mass, k is the spring constant, A is the amplitude, and t is the time.