1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on Capacitor problem.

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An axon is the relatively long tail-like part of a neuron, or nerve cell. The outer surface of the axon membrane (dielectric constant = 5, thickness = 1 10-8 m) is charged positively, and the inner portion is charged negatively. Thus, the membrane is a kind of capacitor. Assuming that an axon can be treated like a parallel plate capacitor with a plate area of 4.20 10-6 m2, what is its capacitance?

2. Relevant equations
    C = k * Eo * A / d

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used C = 5 * 8.85*10^-12 * 4.20*10^-6 / 1*10^-8 = 1.9E-8 F

However this is not the correct answer and I am perplexed as to why. Is Eo not 8.85*10^-12 or is d not just the thickness?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2008 #2
    So is this a parallel plate capacitor with with a dielectric in between? If so then you should be able to just use

[tex]C = \epsilon_r C_{vac}[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon_r[/itex] is the dielectric constant. I think you may have used the wrong electric permitivity.

4. Apr 2, 2008 #3
    Maybe your units are incorrect.

5. Apr 2, 2008 #4
    I think the permittivity is correct, 8.85e-12 is the vacuum permittivity, and it was multipled by 5, the dielectric constant.

If you are doing this as a web-based problem, it's probably a matter of significant digits. Use more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?