Why Does Increasing Velocity Decrease Pressure in Fluid Dynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between dynamic pressure and velocity in fluid flow, as well as the Bernoulli equation and its application to conservation laws. The equation states that the sum of static/gauge pressure, pressure due to change in height, and dynamic pressure is constant along a streamline. The conversation also mentions a manipulated version of the equation and clarifies that it refers to change in gauge pressure.
Wombat11

Homework Statement

This Is more of a conceptual question. If the equation for dynamic pressure is 1/2(density)(velocity)^2 then as velocity increases the pressure would also, but I was told that as velocity increases pressure decreases. If anyone could explain this to me that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
As an isolated term, your description of the relationship between dynamic pressure and velocity would be correct. But you will find that as applied to fluid flow there are conservation laws that tie it to other quantities.

Take a look at the Bernoulli equation.

Likes Wombat11
In Bernoulli's equation is it pretty much saying that (static/gauge pressure)+ (pressure due to change in height)+(dynamic pressure) is a constant? Also my teacher manipulated the equation so it was Gauge pressure=(d)(g)(change in height)+ 1/2(d)(change in velocity)^2. Would it be Gauge pressure or change in Gauge pressure? Thanks.

Wombat11 said:
In Bernoulli's equation is it pretty much saying that (static/gauge pressure)+ (pressure due to change in height)+(dynamic pressure) is a constant?
Along a streamline, yes.
Also my teacher manipulated the equation so it was Gauge pressure=(d)(g)(change in height)+ 1/2(d)(change in velocity)^2. Would it be Gauge pressure or change in Gauge pressure? Thanks.
I would think it would be change in gauge pressure, since the other terms are changes.

Likes Wombat11

What is dynamic pressure?

Dynamic pressure is a measure of the kinetic energy of a fluid in motion. It is the force exerted by a fluid per unit area, and is calculated by multiplying the fluid density by the square of its velocity.

How is dynamic pressure different from static pressure?

Static pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a fluid at rest, while dynamic pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a fluid in motion. Dynamic pressure takes into account the velocity of the fluid, while static pressure does not.

What is the formula for calculating dynamic pressure?

The formula for calculating dynamic pressure is q = ½ρV², where q is dynamic pressure, ρ is fluid density, and V is fluid velocity.

What is the significance of dynamic pressure in fluid dynamics?

Dynamic pressure is an important parameter in fluid dynamics as it helps to determine the forces acting on a body in a fluid, such as lift and drag. It is also used in the design and analysis of aircraft, rockets, and other moving objects in a fluid medium.

How is dynamic pressure measured?

Dynamic pressure can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as pitot tubes, pressure transducers, or airspeed indicators. These instruments use different methods to measure the pressure exerted by a fluid in motion, and can provide accurate readings of dynamic pressure.