1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on dynamic pressure

1. Dec 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This Is more of a conceptual question. If the equation for dynamic pressure is 1/2(density)(velocity)^2 then as velocity increases the pressure would also, but I was told that as velocity increases pressure decreases. If anyone could explain this to me that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

As an isolated term, your description of the relationship between dynamic pressure and velocity would be correct. But you will find that as applied to fluid flow there are conservation laws that tie it to other quantities.

Take a look at the Bernoulli equation.

4. Dec 8, 2015 #3
    In Bernoulli's equation is it pretty much saying that (static/gauge pressure)+ (pressure due to change in height)+(dynamic pressure) is a constant? Also my teacher manipulated the equation so it was Gauge pressure=(d)(g)(change in height)+ 1/2(d)(change in velocity)^2. Would it be Gauge pressure or change in Gauge pressure? Thanks.

5. Dec 8, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Along a streamline, yes.
    I would think it would be change in gauge pressure, since the other terms are changes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted