1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on finding Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    confused on finding Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors!!

hello everyone, i can't understand this example, how did they find the Eigen value of 3?! Aslo an Eigen vector of 1 1? http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/1466/lastscan1oc.jpg
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2
  4. Oct 23, 2005 #3
  5. Oct 23, 2005 #4
    You've factored it incorrectly.
  6. Oct 23, 2005 #5
    i know, i can't factor that and get a nice number, i'd have to use the quadtract equation, but that can't be right because the book got a nice answer of 3.
  7. Oct 23, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

As Muzza said, only the factoring was wrong!

[tex]\lambda ^2 - 4\lambda + 3 = \left( {\lambda - 1} \right)\left( {\lambda - 3} \right) \ne \left( {\lambda - 4} \right)\left( {\lambda + 1} \right)[/tex]
  8. Oct 23, 2005 #7
    ohhh wow i suck hah, thank u so much!! why did they only use [tex]\lambda = 3[/tex] when it can also equal 1?
  9. Oct 23, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Even knowing that one solution was 3, so one factor must be x- 3 you couldn't factor it??

Read it carefully! It specifically says "an eigenvalue", not the eigenvalue. And immediately below states that there is another and solves for it.
  10. Oct 23, 2005 #9
    This is what we witnessed today. :surprised
    To think i have a 3.77 GPA. What is the world coming too?
    Anywho, thanks for the explanation everyone.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?