Calculating Force for Uniform Deceleration in a Mass-Force Relationship

In summary, the first car, with a mass of 2450 kg and traveling to the west at 16.4 m/s, slows down uniformly under a force of 8930 N to the east. To cause the same acceleration on a car with a mass of 3170 kg, a force of 11,554 N would be required. This can be calculated using the equation F=ma.
redhot209

Homework Statement

A 2450 kg car traveling to the west at 16.4 m/s slows down uniformly under a force of 8930 N to the east.
a) How much force would be required to cause the same acceleration on a car of mass 3170 kg? Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found in the first cart 2450x16.4 = 40,180 kg*m/s (the momentum)
Since 8930 N is the same as 8930 kg*m/s^2
40,180 / 8930 = 4.49900449 seconds

I tried to use a similar with the second cart 3170 kg, but the problem is I don't know the force since I'm trying to find it I got stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
4.49...s is the time it takes for the car to decelerate to a stop not the value of its acceleration...dont you want to use F=ma for this question? ;0)

That's what I thought too gabba, but then figured I was wrong to having it be a question.

F = ma
(-)8930 = 2450a
a = -3.64 m/s^2

F = ma
F = (3170)(3.64 m/s^2)
F ≅ 11,554 N

Looks good to me...the fact that they told you the initial speed was meant to throw you off.

O I see I totally misread the question... yea the intial speed threw me off... i under stand it now. thanks a lot!

1. What should I do when I am confused on a homework problem?

When you are confused on a homework problem, it is important to first take a deep breath and remain calm. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try to find similar examples or ask a classmate or teacher for help.

2. How can I prevent confusion on homework problems?

To prevent confusion on homework problems, it is important to pay attention during class and take thorough notes. Additionally, you can try to practice similar problems and ask for clarification when needed. It is also helpful to start your homework early and not wait until the last minute.

3. Is it okay to ask for help when I am confused on a homework problem?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help when you are confused on a homework problem. In fact, asking for help shows that you are proactive and willing to learn. You can ask your teacher or classmates for assistance, or even seek help from online resources or tutoring services.

4. What are some common reasons why I may be confused on a homework problem?

There are a few common reasons why you may be confused on a homework problem. Some possible reasons include not understanding the concept fully, not paying attention during class, not taking thorough notes, or simply making a simple mistake. It is important to identify the root cause of your confusion in order to prevent it from happening in the future.

5. Should I skip a homework problem if I am confused?

No, it is not recommended to skip a homework problem if you are confused. Skipping a problem will only make it more difficult to understand the concept and may lead to more confusion in the future. Instead, try to break down the problem into smaller parts or seek help from a teacher or classmate.